Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad registered with Apple ID that doesn't exist anymore & no password. Help!

My husband's old iPad (not sure about the model - purchased new in 2013) is registered under his previous Apple ID (which has been deleted) and he doesn't remember his old password (from 6 years ago). Is there any way to have the device released from this old ID so we can use it without the constant prompting for Apple ID p/w? I will be logging in using mine once my iPad finally dies.

Appreciate any help :) Thanks in advance :)

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 10, 2019 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2019 12:49 PM

The phone call did it! It was by luck that the ID info had been transferred to my husband's new ID (of which we knew the password) and in using our other iPad's "Find my iPhone" feature, we were able to erase and remove the iPad in question from his ID, thus unlocking it.

Originally, I called to set up appointment at Genius bar, but this is definitely preferable! :)

Thanks, Eric!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2019 12:49 PM in response to Eric Root

The phone call did it! It was by luck that the ID info had been transferred to my husband's new ID (of which we knew the password) and in using our other iPad's "Find my iPhone" feature, we were able to erase and remove the iPad in question from his ID, thus unlocking it.

Originally, I called to set up appointment at Genius bar, but this is definitely preferable! :)

Thanks, Eric!

Jan 10, 2019 2:39 PM in response to AndyMarieB

If you are the original owner, take the device, the original purchase receipt with the serial number, and a photo ID to the nearest Apple Store.

Genius Bar Reservation US

or contact Apple ID Support. They will need to see the original purchase receipt/paperwork also.

Apple ID Support

Apple ID Support (2) 

Apple Support by e-mail or chat         Select your device, Battery, Power and Charging, then Power adapter not working to get a chat option. 

Apple Support using Twitter

Or fill out and submit this form.

iPad registered with Apple ID that doesn't exist anymore & no password. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.