Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers

When I right click on the Numbers icon in the dock, I can see recent documents but none will open. If I open numbers in a normal fashion and pick a recent document from the file menu it opens without any problem. I'm new to Numbers but is this normal?

Posted on Jan 11, 2019 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2019 6:40 AM

It's possible the connection to iCloud has been interrupted. You might try signing out of iCloud and back in again at System Preferences > iCloud.

Also sometimes quitting apps and restarting your Mac can help.

If that doesn't work I remember reading online discussions about strange behavior with recent items and how to fix it, so a search might help. This doesn't sound like a Numbers-specific problem (but you could test whether it is by trying the same thing with other apps).

SG

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2019 6:40 AM in response to pablob

It's possible the connection to iCloud has been interrupted. You might try signing out of iCloud and back in again at System Preferences > iCloud.

Also sometimes quitting apps and restarting your Mac can help.

If that doesn't work I remember reading online discussions about strange behavior with recent items and how to fix it, so a search might help. This doesn't sound like a Numbers-specific problem (but you could test whether it is by trying the same thing with other apps).

SG

Jan 11, 2019 6:24 AM in response to pablob

Not what I experience here.

Just guessing, but is it possible you have two versions of Numbers on your Mac, one in the main Applications folder and an older one in a subfolder? If you do it's possible the icon on the Dock is pointing to the older version, which can't open documents created or edited in the newer version or in Numbers for iOS.

Are you getting an error message? If so, what is it?

SG

Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.