Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External drive to Time Capsule backup

Hello! I have a time machine backup on a external usb drive and need to move it on the Time capsule I have at home. Any step by step tutorial on how to do it? Thanks!

F.

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Jan 11, 2019 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2019 11:08 AM

I have to buy a LAN-to-thisdamnednewport adapter.

This is a mighty handy item to keep in your desk drawer for situations like this when you need a much faster backup......or......you are having problems with WiFi on your Mac. Hard to know why Apple removed the most important port in networking from most of their computers.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD463LL/A/thunderbolt-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter

I can't do a quick erase on the TC as I also have other folders.

Then, you can delete only the "new" partial backup file using the Finder.

I will leave the other one as basically that MBP won't be here anymore but just for safety I will keep them.

Good plan. After a month or two, you will probably realize that you don't need the old backups, and can erase them and use the USB drive as a spare.

Good luck!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2019 11:08 AM in response to DonVitoCorleone

I have to buy a LAN-to-thisdamnednewport adapter.

This is a mighty handy item to keep in your desk drawer for situations like this when you need a much faster backup......or......you are having problems with WiFi on your Mac. Hard to know why Apple removed the most important port in networking from most of their computers.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD463LL/A/thunderbolt-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter

Then, you can delete only the "new" partial backup file using the Finder.

I will leave the other one as basically that MBP won't be here anymore but just for safety I will keep them.

Good plan. After a month or two, you will probably realize that you don't need the old backups, and can erase them and use the USB drive as a spare.

Good luck!

Jan 11, 2019 10:57 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Ok, got it....

I thought about this but, being a new MBP I have to buy a LAN-to-thisdamnednewport adapter...I'll buy it, no problem.

Final question....

Basically right now I have the floowing backups:

• NAME's mackbook pro. sparsebunlde
  • NAME's mackbook pro1. sparsebundle

I will delete the second one (it's the partial backup I started doing this morning) and then follow your instructions.

Does this sound doable to you?

Thanks again!

F.

Jan 11, 2019 10:28 AM in response to DonVitoCorleone

Frankly, this is something that you may not want to do.

Why? Time Machine backs up differently to a USB or local external drive connected directly to a Mac than it does to a network drive like the Time Capsule....and the different types of files are not interchangeable.

If you move or copy the backup file on the external over to the Time Capsule, Time Machine will not be able to continue backing up to the file than you transferred over from the USB drive, it will start all over again with a new complete backup of your Mac and then move forward with new incremental backups.

In addition, and probably more importantly...... you will not be able to use Time Machine to restore any of the files from the backup that was moved over from the external USB drive.

My suggestion would be to hold onto the external USB drive for a time.....3-6 months or so......until Time Machine has had time to build up 3-6 months of new backups on the Time Capsule. At that point, you may likely decide that you really don't need all the old backups going back months and even years and you can erase them to clear space on the USB drive.

With few exceptions, all that most of us really need is a current backup of our Mac(s) in case the hard drive fails on the Mac. Once the Mac has been repaired, you can use the most recent Time Machine backup to make your "new" Mac look just like your "old" Mac.

Jan 11, 2019 10:39 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for your quick reply Bob.

The reason I am doing this is that I bought a new mac pro, installed on this new mac pro the last time machine backup of my old mbp and then I started doing a new backup of the new machine (in time capsule).

The backup was painfully slow (I am talking 4 gb out of 65 in 7 hours) and would take approximately 3-4 days while the external drive backup took only one hour or so. The I would plug the external drive to my time machine and copy the backup (and who care how long it takes). This was at the base of my thinking.....

In short words...you suggest I go for the 3-4 days backup?

Thanks!

F.

Jan 11, 2019 10:57 AM in response to DonVitoCorleone

What you were thinking of doing will not do what you want.

You will have an unusable copy of the backups from the USB drive taking up a lot of space on the Time Capsule, while Time Machine will start all over again with a new complete backup of your Mac. So, you wind up with two separate backups on the Time Capsule and one of them will be unusable.

Something is wrong with your current backup.

Stop the backup

Perform a Quick Erase on the Time Capsule hard drive

Restart the network

Connect an Ethernet cable from the Mac to one of the three LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the Time Capsule

Turn off the WiFi on the Mac to insure that the backup will be over much faster Ethernet

Start a new backup

Data will transfer at 30-40 GB per hour on average, so a 65GB backup will take 2-3 hours.

External drive to Time Capsule backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.