Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why isn’t there a QWERTY Arabic keyboard layout on iOS?

I’m studying Arabic, so I have to type in Arabic a lot. For the last three years, I’ve been using the “Arabic - QWERTY” keyboard layout on my Mac. Essentially, the Arabic characters are organized phonetically to fit the English keyboard. So to type the word “habibi - حبيبي” you simply type “h+b+i+b+i.”

I just purchased an iPad Pro, and I was disappointed to discover there is not Arabic - QWERTY layout for iOS. So in order to type on my iPad, I have to learn an entirely new keyboard layout. To type “habibi” in the standard Arabic layout, you have to type “p+f+d+f+d.”

I often type in English and Arabic at the same time, such as writing out notes or texting an Arab friend while doing research. The lack of a QWERTY option is going to hurt my productivity a good deal; and even if I get comfortable with the standard Arabic layout, it will still be a painstaking process to switch back and forth between Arabic and English. I’m sure there are tons of other Arabic learners who feel the same. There have already been a couple requests for the QWERTY layout since 2015, but it hasn’t been implemented. There was a Reddit post just three days ago with someone looking for a QWERTY keyboard on iOS.

Again, this feature exists on MacOS. I can’t imagine it would be a difficult process to port it over to the iPhone and iPad.

Thanks in advance for any help on the issue.

»نقش!

Woops, that was supposed to be “شكرا”

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jan 11, 2019 10:26 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Jan 12, 2019 5:40 PM in response to cjguiser

Unfortunately the Keyman app doesn’t support the full QWERTY layout, at least not at the level that the standard Arabic - QWERTY does on the Mac. Hitting A on the Keyman one, for example, does not produce an Alif.

For info on how to use the Keyman layout to do what you want, see

https://help.keyman.com/keyboard/sil_arabic_phonetic/1.0/sil_arabic_phonetic.php

For ا you type aa.

Jan 14, 2019 12:26 PM in response to cjguiser

UPDATE: So... I don’t know if this was there and I somehow completely missed it, but there actually is an Arabic - QWERY option for the hardware keyboard on iOS. The hardware keyboard is a separate page in the Settings app, and it give more options than the on-screen keyboard. So yeah, problem solved! الحمدالله

Why isn’t there a QWERTY Arabic keyboard layout on iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.