Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Severe battery drain after IOS update to 12.1.2

Since this update the battery usage on my iPhone 6s has escalated to the point where it is down to 12% after only 78 minutes of battery usage by the apps during the day.

I always charge the phone fully at night before going to bed and the phone is set to Do not Disturb for 7 hours. After this time the battery is now down to 74% whereas before the update it would usually be down to 96%.

Also before this update, normal usage during the day using either Wi-fi or fast 4G never drained the battery lower than 70%.

Battery Health is showing maximum capacity of 100% and the Peak Performance Capability states the battery is currently supporting normal peak performance.

I have not updated my iPad Air2 with this latest update and the battery performance is still more than satisfactory. The apps on the iPad are identical to the iPhone 6s.

I can only surmise that something in this iOS 12.1.2 update is causing the battery problems with the iPhone.

iPhone 6s

Posted on Jan 11, 2019 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2019 8:19 AM

I have compared the apps/processes battery usage between the iPad Air2 and iPhone 6s and found that the Mail process running as a background activity on the iPhone 6s showed 100% battery usage whereas the iPad Air2 (still on iOS 12.1.1) Mail background process showed only 33%.

Both were running on the same Wi-fi on the same day and accessing the same mail accounts.

It would appear that it is the Mail background activity on the iPhone 6s that has been affected by this latest iOS update.

To test this out I switched off the Mail background activity and set the Mail Fetch to manual.

I also powered off and restarted the iPhone.

After 12 hours - 7 hours of which the iPhone was set to Do Not Disturb - the battery icon still showed 96% remaining.

To test if the problem was resolved, the next morning I switched back to Mail background activity and set the Mail Fetch to 15 minutes as it was before the update.

So far the battery usage seems to be back to what it was before the latest update as after a further 4 hours i.e. 16 hours in total, the battery percentage used for background Mail is only 9% not 100%! and the battery icon is showing as 91% remaining.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2019 8:19 AM in response to deggie

I have compared the apps/processes battery usage between the iPad Air2 and iPhone 6s and found that the Mail process running as a background activity on the iPhone 6s showed 100% battery usage whereas the iPad Air2 (still on iOS 12.1.1) Mail background process showed only 33%.

Both were running on the same Wi-fi on the same day and accessing the same mail accounts.

It would appear that it is the Mail background activity on the iPhone 6s that has been affected by this latest iOS update.

To test this out I switched off the Mail background activity and set the Mail Fetch to manual.

I also powered off and restarted the iPhone.

After 12 hours - 7 hours of which the iPhone was set to Do Not Disturb - the battery icon still showed 96% remaining.

To test if the problem was resolved, the next morning I switched back to Mail background activity and set the Mail Fetch to 15 minutes as it was before the update.

So far the battery usage seems to be back to what it was before the latest update as after a further 4 hours i.e. 16 hours in total, the battery percentage used for background Mail is only 9% not 100%! and the battery icon is showing as 91% remaining.

Jan 12, 2019 1:29 AM in response to SGM_34

Virtually the same issue, although my battery - on one year old iPhone 6s -- doesn't show 100% in Battery Health.

Furthermore the battery icon drops suddenly from levels like 74% to 1% at various times of the day, randomly. Plugging into a wall socket USB slow charge takes it to 25%+ in just ten minutes!

I used to keep charging it whenever this 'battery drainage 1%' took place after the 12.1.2 update but, following posts here, I left it on (wifi+Phone+data) plus normal little usage whilst it showed 1%. It kept working for at least a day without issue.

I have an Ipad Air which upgraded to 12.1.2 automatically and although it has the same apps etc and is always on wifi (no phone) has never shown this 1% effect.

So, for a week after eliminating anything that keeps the iPhone awake - refreshing, fetching, pushing, motion, location, raise to wake etc etc. with the 1% keeping coming back, I and my IT experts humbly suggest that there is an issue with the update to 12.1.2 on the UK iPhone6 and ask Apple to advise us all.

Frustrated with no feedback on this issue from Apple since it was raised on the forum in December. 😒

Jan 12, 2019 1:35 AM in response to deggie

Hi Deggie,

It's not the usage per-se but the incorrect reporting of 1% battery level. We could see no obvious application using the battery inappropriately - i.e. on or active when it shouldn't have been - during the prior week's testing.

Most people seem to assume the battery is flat and 'recharge' it, not realising that they could keep using it !

Jan 16, 2019 3:33 AM in response to Umtali-uk

An update on my 1% display.

I left the phone on uncharged showing 1% and it took 5 days before it powered down. This confirms that the low battery indicator is a software issue and nothing to do with use of my phone.

I hope Apple will take note and update the software to correct this problem as it is very frustrating not knowing how much actual charge there is in the battery.

Feb 27, 2019 8:07 PM in response to Umtali-uk

I have had the same issue, same phone. My family has 3 other iphones(1 is a 6plus), 2 IPad minis and an IPad. The 6s is the only one with this problem. Maybe you have encountered some with the 1% problem, but that's not the case with mine. It drops and dies, and shuts down until I charge it. I charge to 100%, pull off charger, leave on table with everything possible off, and it will be dead in less than 90 mins. Old battery had 90% life, put in a brand new battery (says 100% life), same problem. Go to usage and shows like 2mins display used on battery, and that's it, and yet battery dies in 90mins. if I don't touch it. If I actually use the phone like I am supposed to,,,,dead in 30-40 Unreal.

Feb 28, 2019 10:29 AM in response to ThaTooch

Hi ThaTooch,

Have you tried doing any of the actions I listed in my post dated Jan 12 2019?

My iPhone 6s battery is now back to normal usage % having carried out those actions.

By the way, I didn’t get the 1% problem just excessive battery run down like you are experiencing.

Since carrying out the actions listed in my post I have also added Norton Security VPN to my apps which I knew would use some of the battery as it constantly checks for viruses etc. and still the battery usage is OK. The phone can be idle for 12 hours or more and it still shows 90% or more despite emails having been received during that time and Norton Security constantly running in the background.

Hope my resolutions solve your problem.

Regards,

SGM_34

Apr 12, 2019 9:48 PM in response to SGM_34

@SGM_34 Seriously, stop reposting the same useless nonsense. I have everything turned off, on my iPad Pro. The battery drains to 0% in 1/10 of the time it took to completely drain the battery, prior to the latest iOS update. Apple!!! Fix this **** now!! You’ve rendered our devices useless. There is no legitimate half-*** solution. This needs to be fixed in a new update.

Apr 13, 2019 7:41 AM in response to StupidAppleJunk

Your rude comment about my posts being useless nonsense:- the actions listed within them worked for me.

If you had read my posts properly you would realise I had found a resolution referring to problems exclusively with my iPhone 6s. I did not have any problems with my iPad Air2.

Try updating your iPad Pro to the latest iOS 12.2. This update has not presented any battery problems for my iPhone or my iPad.

May 7, 2019 3:23 AM in response to SGM_34

The battery on my iPhone 6, which gets little use, started draining very rapidly. Battery Usage stats showed Mail consuming at 100% for hours overnight, as it sat on the charger (which it does most days too).

I tried changing settings etc., to no effect. However ... it looks like I've found a fix. Delete Mail app, then download/install it again from the app store. This deletes everything in prefs/settings for Mail. So effectively a reset for Mail. Your Accounts are still present, so you can re-activate them by simply turning them on in the Accounts settings.

So far so good, over a relatively short period of time. I shall see how it progresses over a few days of normal use.

(NB ... if you have email that resides 'on your phone', e.g. a POP account, you will have to move it (backup) somewhere else prior to deleting the Mail app, or you will loose your data).

Severe battery drain after IOS update to 12.1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.