Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual Monitors on a Mac mini (2018)

Hello,

I just recently purchased a Mac mini to use with my 2 LG 4K displays. First time I used them both, it worked fine. I have 1 plugged in with HDMI-HDMI and the other display with Display Port-Type C. The HDMI to HDMI wakes up instantly when I turn on my Mac, the Display Port - Type C has to be unplugged and plugged back in every time I want to use dual displays. Is there a quick fix as to why both displays won't turn on automatically?? Any info would be helpful, Thank you!

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jan 12, 2019 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2019 6:35 PM

I would try both using DP to TB3/usb-c. With my 2018 Mac mini I initially tried one of my Dell U2715h (2560x1440) displays on HDMI and the other on DP-to-TB3. That proved problematic, and the extended display would often flip order of monitors (in terms of mouse scrolling) or not wake one or the other.

So I ended up ordering a pair of full-size DP (monitor port) to usb-c (mini port) cables from Amazon and used those. its been flawless since - wakes up fine, maintains the extended desktop order and everything works fine. I’ve often found that the DP (DP, miniDP, usb-c) standard is far more stable and reliable than HDMI.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2019 6:35 PM in response to Gabrie1ito

I would try both using DP to TB3/usb-c. With my 2018 Mac mini I initially tried one of my Dell U2715h (2560x1440) displays on HDMI and the other on DP-to-TB3. That proved problematic, and the extended display would often flip order of monitors (in terms of mouse scrolling) or not wake one or the other.

So I ended up ordering a pair of full-size DP (monitor port) to usb-c (mini port) cables from Amazon and used those. its been flawless since - wakes up fine, maintains the extended desktop order and everything works fine. I’ve often found that the DP (DP, miniDP, usb-c) standard is far more stable and reliable than HDMI.

Feb 13, 2019 5:00 PM in response to Gabrie1ito

I also have two 4K LG's hooked up to my Mac mini 2018. One via the HDMI port, the other via the USB-C and a dongle to HDMI. There seems to be a timing issue with restart and wake up and it was intermittent. What I did to fix it was to turn off encryption for the OS drive in Mohave. It's been flawless ever since. I would assume this is a problem with Mohave, not the CPU. Time to report it to Apple.

Dual Monitors on a Mac mini (2018)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.