Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Device not recognized

I have an iPod Classic, model A1238. When I plug it in to the computer, it recognizes the device ( Listed on MY PC) but iTunes does not recognize the device. On another computer, I got a window asking if I wanted to download the software to communicate with my iPod but that message does not show up on my computer. I tried the troubleshooting tips without success. Is just too old?

iPod Classic

Posted on Jan 13, 2019 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2019 6:15 PM

Try iOS device not showing in iTunes for Windows - Apple Community. Despite the title the same steps should apply.

tt2

3 replies

Jan 15, 2019 10:23 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the reply. I did find that discussion and followed the instruction previously. The system is telling me that I have the up-to-date drivers installed but iTunes still does not recognize the device. It is an old iPod Classic and I am afraid that with all the improvements (updates) that it is just too old.

Flash!!!! I just disconnected the device and reconnected it. Then I got a window that said the software to communicate with my device wasn't installed and do I want to install it. When I said yes, it completed the task and suddenly my device appeared on iTunes. Not sure what made the difference since I had followed your suggested path before-the only exception was the way the device was listed on Device Manager as an Apple Mobile Device USB Driver now when it wasn't listed before.

Looks like I am good now. Thanks.

Thanks again

Device not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.