Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't create new document in Pages for iPad

I got my iPad a while ago, but hadn't used Pages. Today I decided to give it a go, but it won't let me create a new document on the iPad. When i click the cross in the upper right corner it takes me to the template page, but on clicking any of the templates I get the message

"Blank.pages" can't be opened right now. Pages couldn't read the file

(this is for the blank template)

Things I've tried with no success:

Force-quitting Pages from the app switcher.

Uninstalling Pages then reinstaling it

Restarting my iPad (Power off then back on)

Signing out of iCloud then signing back in

I can create a new document on my PC using the iCloud web application, and then Pages will open that fine from iCloud. I can make a copy and move the copy to the Pages folder on my iPad, and that loads just fine too. So Pages has access to storage. It just can't find the base templates needed to make a new document.

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Jan 14, 2019 3:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2019 2:47 AM

Well, I phoned Apple Support, and Lo and Behold ... creating a new document works just fine if you go into the Browse tab, find the location for the new file (iCloud or on the iPad) and then create a new doc either through the + in the upper right or the 'Create Document' icon. But trying to create a new doc through the '+' on the Recents tab still doesn't work.

I tried out Numbers, and it creates new documents just fine from the Recents tab, so it just seems to be Pages that's affected. Probably a bug in the app.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2019 2:47 AM in response to charlesky

Well, I phoned Apple Support, and Lo and Behold ... creating a new document works just fine if you go into the Browse tab, find the location for the new file (iCloud or on the iPad) and then create a new doc either through the + in the upper right or the 'Create Document' icon. But trying to create a new doc through the '+' on the Recents tab still doesn't work.

I tried out Numbers, and it creates new documents just fine from the Recents tab, so it just seems to be Pages that's affected. Probably a bug in the app.

Jan 15, 2019 6:49 PM in response to charlesky

Hey Charles,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. If I understand your post, you're unable to create a new Pages document from the iOS Pages app on your iPad. I'm happy to help!

It looks like you've taken several steps to troubleshoot already, which all are included in the Apple Support article If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open - Apple Support. Since those haven't worked, I'd recommend going through the article and performing any remaining steps next.

Should you still need help after that, please get in touch with Apple Support directly: Contact Apple Support.

Have a good day.

Can't create new document in Pages for iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.