Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods microphone not working

For the past day nobody can hear me on phone calls where I am connected using my AirPods. I can hear through the AirPods fine (podcasts, music and phone calls) but nobody can hear me when I speak. It seems to be progressively getting worse because I have been getting feedback for the past week or so that my audio was breaking up and it that it was hard to hear me.

I switched to speaker and plug in headphones and the issue was instantly resolved.

Thoughts?

Posted on Jan 14, 2019 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2019 12:42 PM

Hello nolesdude,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I see you might be having an issue with the microphone on your AirPods.

Testing your speaker and other headphones was a great idea, and that helps narrow things down to the AirPods themselves. Do you see any debris gathered near the microphones? Does it help if you brush it away gently with a dry lint-free cloth?

Are your AirPods fully charged? If not, try giving them a full charge and then test to see if this helps: Charge your AirPods with charging case and learn about battery life.

If not, you might try re-connecting your AirPods. First, tap Settings > Bluetooth. The tap the 'i' next to your AirPod and tap Forget This Device. The next step is to put your AirPods in your case and close it. Wait 15 seconds, and then open it. Next, press and hold the setup button on the back until you see an amber light followed by a white light. Then, re-pair the AirPods and test: Get help with your AirPods.

If you find the microphone audio is still breaking up, your best bet is to get in touch with Apple using this link to look at your options: Contact Apple Support.

Take care!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2019 12:42 PM in response to nolesdude

Hello nolesdude,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I see you might be having an issue with the microphone on your AirPods.

Testing your speaker and other headphones was a great idea, and that helps narrow things down to the AirPods themselves. Do you see any debris gathered near the microphones? Does it help if you brush it away gently with a dry lint-free cloth?

Are your AirPods fully charged? If not, try giving them a full charge and then test to see if this helps: Charge your AirPods with charging case and learn about battery life.

If not, you might try re-connecting your AirPods. First, tap Settings > Bluetooth. The tap the 'i' next to your AirPod and tap Forget This Device. The next step is to put your AirPods in your case and close it. Wait 15 seconds, and then open it. Next, press and hold the setup button on the back until you see an amber light followed by a white light. Then, re-pair the AirPods and test: Get help with your AirPods.

If you find the microphone audio is still breaking up, your best bet is to get in touch with Apple using this link to look at your options: Contact Apple Support.

Take care!

AirPods microphone not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.