Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unapproved caller. SecurityAgent may only be invoked by Apple software.

I keep getting this error and my iMac reboots at least daily. I found some guides with fixes from a few years ago but none seem to work. Is there a known fix? Thanks.

Mojave 10.14.2

iMac (2017)

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 14, 2019 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2019 12:40 PM

Greetings, jessholbrook.

I see that you're receiving an error message daily on your Mac. The message reads, "Unapproved caller. SecurityAgent may only be invoked by Apple software", and I'm happy to help.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- Restart your iMac in safe mode and test how it responds. Afterwards, reboot normally and log into your own user account. Remember this when booting in safe mode: Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode 

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac -- If the issue is also happening in safe mode, use this article to create and test a new user account. This will demonstrate if the issue is isolated to your account, or if its system wide.

About macOS Recovery -- If the issue is also happening in the test user account, reinstalling macOS Mojave will put a fresh copy of the operating system on your iMac.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2019 12:40 PM in response to jessholbrook

Greetings, jessholbrook.

I see that you're receiving an error message daily on your Mac. The message reads, "Unapproved caller. SecurityAgent may only be invoked by Apple software", and I'm happy to help.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- Restart your iMac in safe mode and test how it responds. Afterwards, reboot normally and log into your own user account. Remember this when booting in safe mode: Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode 

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac -- If the issue is also happening in safe mode, use this article to create and test a new user account. This will demonstrate if the issue is isolated to your account, or if its system wide.

About macOS Recovery -- If the issue is also happening in the test user account, reinstalling macOS Mojave will put a fresh copy of the operating system on your iMac.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Jan 18, 2019 8:42 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you both.

I hit new issues trying these options. When I tried to reboot in Safe Mode by holding the shift key during bootup, my iMac would get to the Apple logo screen and the progress bar would get to the end but the machine would never boot. I tried to shutdown the machine and try the same technique but got the same result. I tried to unplug the machine for 30 seconds or more and try the same technique but got the same result.

I tried using the Terminal as described at the bottom of this article:https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063, but got this error message: "nvram: Error setting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) not permitted"

I then tried to reset the NVRAM and PRAM using the steps here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063, but that did not work either.

So I have not yet verified that Safe Mode fixes the issue because I have not been able to boot into Safe Mode. Not sure what other options I have.

Thank you again for your help with this.

Unapproved caller. SecurityAgent may only be invoked by Apple software.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.