Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ringtone on my iPhone

In its infinite wisdom, Apple removed "Tones" from iTunes.

I now have a ringtone "sitting" in "Music" on iTunes but I cannot find a way of syncing it to "Tones" on my iPhone.

I would greatly appreciate advice as to how I can do this.

iPhone SE

Posted on Jan 14, 2019 8:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2019 4:40 PM

Glad to hear to you've got it working. Given you have a Mac I wonder if the problem was changing the extension of an existing item in the library, which would have left it connected to the library (allowing it to play) which might in turn have meant it was treated as existing item when you tried to add to the device when that method expected to be presented with a unknown item.

tt2

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2019 4:40 PM in response to Foozal22

Glad to hear to you've got it working. Given you have a Mac I wonder if the problem was changing the extension of an existing item in the library, which would have left it connected to the library (allowing it to play) which might in turn have meant it was treated as existing item when you tried to add to the device when that method expected to be presented with a unknown item.

tt2

Jan 15, 2019 2:20 PM in response to Foozal22

From the linked tip:

Add ringtone to device, iTunes 12.7 or later

1. Connect device to computer.
  2. Enable the sidebar in iTunes if hidden.
  3. Drag & drop * or copy & paste the ringtone from Windows Explorer or Finder onto the device where it appears in the iTunes sidebar (drop) or to the Tones section of the device when expanded (paste).

* Some Windows users have noted that this method fails if they are running iTunes as the administrator. In some cases it may be necessary to exit the BTTray.exe utility, if present, before iTunes can be launched in non-admin mode.

tt2

Jan 16, 2019 12:22 AM in response to Foozal22

When I copied and pasted, it also went to music, not tones on the phone

Are you certain it is a well formed .m4r file? I.e. less than 40 seconds long file in AAC (.m4a) format with a .m4r file extension. If your Mac is set up to hide file extensions you could potentially have a file with called say file.m4r.mp3 which would show as file.m4r, but be an mp3 file.

tt2

Jan 16, 2019 6:49 PM in response to Foozal22

I finally found a way to do it and now have it on my phone as a ringtone.

The steps were: After renaming it as a m4r file, I opened it in finder, highlighted it and copied it, then opened iTunes, connected my phone, clicked on tones in the phone sidebar and clicked paste and there it was - at last.

Thanks for your help and input.

Ringtone on my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.