Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing not working on APPLE TV 4th Gen after Update January 2019

Home Sharing stopped working - either after the last update January 2019 I've tried the obvious solutions and I can see/share my iTunes Libraries across my other Apple devices. “Computer” app Crashes serveral seconds after opening and also crashes when I try to play a movie from my computer. I need help with troubleshooting this problem.

• Model: A1625 (64GB)
  • tvOS: 12.0.1 (16J380)

Posted on Jan 16, 2019 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2019 8:25 PM

Ok, I've found the problem with an Apple Tech. Its the iTunes Library. Some How it became corrupt. Found out after a few test of creating a new test Library and loading a movie to play locally it worked. Something in my old library is causing it to load slowly and causing "homeShare" to crash on my apple TV. So the Solution it to rebuild your iTunes Lib, I am replacing my content folder by folder.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2019 8:25 PM in response to Darkreign

Ok, I've found the problem with an Apple Tech. Its the iTunes Library. Some How it became corrupt. Found out after a few test of creating a new test Library and loading a movie to play locally it worked. Something in my old library is causing it to load slowly and causing "homeShare" to crash on my apple TV. So the Solution it to rebuild your iTunes Lib, I am replacing my content folder by folder.

Jan 16, 2019 6:03 PM in response to Darkreign

I'm having a similar issue after upgrading my MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) to Mojave and my Apple TV to latest version of tvOS. The Apple TV indicates that no home sharing libraries are available, but the MBP shows that the library is being shared.

• I'm using the same itunes account on both devices
  • I've logged out, logged back in on both devices multiple times to no avail.
  • I can ping the appletv from the MBP
  • VLC can play files from the MBP on my appleTV.

Home Sharing not working on APPLE TV 4th Gen after Update January 2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.