Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No longer able to make "screenshots" on my iMac

Over the past 3-4 weeks I've noticed I can no longer make "screenshots" For some reason when using

Cmd+shift+4 a window appears with the heading "untitled .png" appears. I am unable to save to my desktop without first editing the image. Previously s/shots of documents I want, would go to my d/top and I would annotate one after another.

I have taken it up with Apple and senior techs and nothing so far has corrected it. We have used terminal commands but nothing happens. They will speak with their engineers; but in the meantime I wonder if anyone else has had this problem, and if so how to overcome it.

I'm using Mojave 10.14.2 0n a 27" (late 2015) iMac

Posted on Jan 17, 2019 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2019 4:01 AM

The only real difference is screenshot saves to the desktop with a screenshot number and you have to rename it as you wish. I found out about Grab by accident sometime ago and, after a bit of confusion with Mojave update, Screenshot as well.

3 replies

Jan 17, 2019 3:33 AM in response to ribbo39

Check your applications folder for 'Capture' or the newer 'Screenshot.' Either is very easy to use. In capture you will need to click and drag a box over what you want a picture of. In screenshot a box is placed on the screen and you will need to position and size the box to get what you want. Beyond that I can't help.

Jan 17, 2019 3:56 AM in response to JohnA50

Thanks John,

I hadn't noticed this app before, (only Grab) which resides in my utilities apps. Presumably this app came out in the recent

mojave upgrade/update.

I wonder if that is what is corrupting the "screenshot facility" of cmd+shift+4

Meanwhile I will try the screenshot app and see if I can make full use of it. It seems to behave much the same as the old screenshot.

No longer able to make "screenshots" on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.