You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error copying files with Migration Assistant

Hello

I have a MacBook Air 13" mid 2011 with MacOS High Sierra (latest it can accept) witch I'd like to migrate to a MacBook Pro 13" 2015 with macOS Mojave (latest). Although process goes smoothly, it says ~ 3h required, after ~ 1h it stops with a copy error message (on both computers). If I click next it says migration complete, however may files and some programs were not copied, including some e-mail accounts. I have tried twice and got same error. From MacBook Pro to another MacBook Pro (both on macOS Mojave) works without any problem. What could be wrong? Do I have alternatives?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 17, 2019 4:38 AM

4 replies

Jan 19, 2019 4:21 AM in response to dorin72

Hello

The problem is still there, regardless of what I do. After it shows ~3h to transfer using Migrant Assistant, it drops to ~10min after 1/2h and then it displays following message: " Sorry. An error occurred while transferring your information. Some documents for xxxxxxx could not be transferred".

I checked and some programs were not transferred (i..e. MS office is 3/4 transferred) . Ai have tried to split (transfer Applications only or Documents only, but same issue occured after +/-30'. I have no logs to check if OS is transferred correctly, neither the libraries. I am stuck. What can I do?

Jan 19, 2019 7:58 PM in response to dorin72

Migration Assistant does not transfer macOS, just the Account data and information you select.

As I wrote the alternative is to add the missing Mail accounts manually, and transfer the contents of their Mailboxes with Mail's Import Mailboxes... function.

It might only be necessary to add the Account(s) again. That will populate the content of their Inboxes provided they use IMAP (the most common email protocol). If not, use Import Mailboxes...

If Microsoft Office did not transfer, you just might need to install it anew.

Error copying files with Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.