Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.8.5 downloadable and bootable iso?

Hi all,

i have had the problem to install os/x 10.8.5 on a mac mini 2012.

But ... it had already Mojave on it. So a Apple-R at boot time only re-installed Mojave.

So i tried all my bootable install cds i have.

My 10.6 tried to boot, but freezed after showing the apple symbol. Version is too old.

My 10.7.0 and 10.8.0 only showed the do-not-enter traffic sign. Versions are too old.

Then i tried some experimenting with windows, killing all os/x partitions with a windows only installation.

Then ... with a completely windows-only hd, and the unbootable osx 10.8.0 install cd in the drive, i tried again the internet install with apple-R, already giving up and "go back" to mojave.

And ... oh what a miracle, i got 10.8.5. Bingoooo! Success at last.

So when i will have again the problem to install 10.8.5 on my macmini 2012, can i shorten the odyssey, is there any chance to download / buy a bootable osx 10.8.5 cd/dvd?

I only found the updates from 10.8.x to 10.8.5.

Everymac com tells me that 10.8.1 is the pre-installed os for the mm 2012 / 6.2, so a bootable 10.8.1 should be as good as a 10.8.5, but the 10.8.5 clearly preferred.

Thanks you!

greetings from germany

Chris

Posted on Jan 17, 2019 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2019 11:33 PM

I just had a telefone call to apple support. They told me that the offered install cd is 10.8.0, the same i already have.

But they too gave me the hint that cmd-alt-shift-r at boot time will force recovery mode to go back to the original delivery installation and will install 10.8.x via internet. If true, this will shorten my installation odyssey. I will know it next time ;-)

Greetings and thanks to all that helped.

Chris

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2019 11:33 PM in response to Eric Root

I just had a telefone call to apple support. They told me that the offered install cd is 10.8.0, the same i already have.

But they too gave me the hint that cmd-alt-shift-r at boot time will force recovery mode to go back to the original delivery installation and will install 10.8.x via internet. If true, this will shorten my installation odyssey. I will know it next time ;-)

Greetings and thanks to all that helped.

Chris

Jan 18, 2019 8:25 AM in response to Eric Root

Quote from the linked page ...

Your Mac needs:

• OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed

... deep sigh ...

everymaccom tells me that 10.8.1 has been preinstalled, the installer i have is 10.8.0 which does not boot, and i am pretty sure that the linked page sells 10.8.0 too, because it always tells about "10.8".

Ill fear that in the future it will be the long odyseey again.

Thank you for all your effforts.

greetings from germany

Chris

Jan 18, 2019 12:19 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Niel, hi Eric,

thank you for the hint, i didnt know about disk creator and diskmaker x. But the missing 10.8.5 installer will remain as a problem. The 10.8.0 i have does not boot on my mm 2012 / 6.2.

In the app store there is no 10.8.5 installer or update. On apples download site i only find updater or combo updater to 10.8.5, but no complete install from empty disc.

And when i am in the apple-r recovery mode, yes then it must download the missing 10.8.5 installer, but is there any chance to access it as a file i can copy to file system, external disc, usb stick?

greetings from germany

Chris

Jan 29, 2019 11:11 AM in response to Christian Stueben

I have been pulling my hair out. I had a Mid 2012 Macbook Pro that I originally used with an AJA IO HD. After retiring the AJA, I started upgrading the Macbook all the way up to Mojave. Now I've decided to do an old VHS capture project and dust off the AJA, but it's only compatible with up to Mountain Lion. I knew you could do an internet restore, but command, option, R (which is what I found on Apple's page) does go into Internet Restore, but if there is a Recovery Image on the drive, it defaults back to that one (which had Mojave). I guess the command, option, SHIFT, R is the way to force it to Internet Recover and ignore the recovery partition. I was an inch away from replacing the stupid hard drive to rid myself of the recover partition (nothing else I tried was deleting it), so THANK YOU!

10.8.5 downloadable and bootable iso?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.