Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert .doc files to pages?

I know I can open a .doc file in pages and save it in pages but I have 250 - is there an easy way?

Thanks -

MacBook

Posted on Jan 18, 2019 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 6:58 AM

I have created an AppleScript that successfully converts mixtures of Word (.doc and .docx) documents to Pages documents using Pages v7.3. This was tested on High Sierra 10.13.6 and Mojave 10.14.2. It is an interactive (double-click) solution that borrows on an existing Automator workflow that you have created previously. Documents are written back to their original filesystem location with just the .pages document extension changed in the filename.

Creating the Automator Workflow that you will need

1. Dock : Launchpad : Other : Automator
    1. New Document : Workflow : Choose
    2. Locate the following action in its library, and drag right-ward into the large workflow window
      1. Pre-Mojave: Files & Folders : Ask for Finder Items
      2. Mojave: Finder : Ask for Finder Items
      3. Configure than action as follows (Mojave view shown) (there is no step 4 thanks to the hosting s/w).
      4. Save… to /Users/yourname/Library/Workflows with name word_files_folders.workflow
      5. The AppleScript will reference this workflow and create a pop-up dialog which saves around 20 lines of code.
  2. Quit Automator

Building the AppleScript-based application

1. Dock : Launchpad : Other : Script Editor
  2. Click the preceding note icon to expose the AppleScript source
    1. Select all of the source and copy/paste into the open Script Editor
  3. In Script Editor, click the Compile (hammer) icon and the text should change from violet to mixed colors.
  4. Save the AppleScript source code
    1. File menu : Save…
      1. Save As: word2pages (no extension)
      2. Put it in your Documents folder
      3. Format Text
      4. Unhide Extension (adds .applescript to the Save As filename
      5. Save
  5. Save the AppleScript as an Application
    1. option + File menu : Save As…
      2. Desktop
      3. Format: Application
      4. Options: None selected
      5. Save

Running the Application

Only on Mojave will you get challenged by Apple Event security issues introduced with Mojave. The preceding application will pop the following dialogs, which you will click OK on each one. In my experience, this is needed only the first time that you run the application. Afterward, and across a reboot, the script will run without these prompts.

During my testing, I named the application "wip" for work in progress, so that is the application name that appears in these dialogs (which only occur in Mojave or later):

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2019 6:58 AM in response to bassdon

I have created an AppleScript that successfully converts mixtures of Word (.doc and .docx) documents to Pages documents using Pages v7.3. This was tested on High Sierra 10.13.6 and Mojave 10.14.2. It is an interactive (double-click) solution that borrows on an existing Automator workflow that you have created previously. Documents are written back to their original filesystem location with just the .pages document extension changed in the filename.

Creating the Automator Workflow that you will need

1. Dock : Launchpad : Other : Automator
    1. New Document : Workflow : Choose
    2. Locate the following action in its library, and drag right-ward into the large workflow window
      1. Pre-Mojave: Files & Folders : Ask for Finder Items
      2. Mojave: Finder : Ask for Finder Items
      3. Configure than action as follows (Mojave view shown) (there is no step 4 thanks to the hosting s/w).
      4. Save… to /Users/yourname/Library/Workflows with name word_files_folders.workflow
      5. The AppleScript will reference this workflow and create a pop-up dialog which saves around 20 lines of code.
  2. Quit Automator

Building the AppleScript-based application

1. Dock : Launchpad : Other : Script Editor
  2. Click the preceding note icon to expose the AppleScript source
    1. Select all of the source and copy/paste into the open Script Editor
  3. In Script Editor, click the Compile (hammer) icon and the text should change from violet to mixed colors.
  4. Save the AppleScript source code
    1. File menu : Save…
      2. Put it in your Documents folder
      3. Format Text
      4. Unhide Extension (adds .applescript to the Save As filename
      5. Save
  5. Save the AppleScript as an Application
    1. option + File menu : Save As…
      2. Desktop
      3. Format: Application
      4. Options: None selected
      5. Save

Running the Application

Only on Mojave will you get challenged by Apple Event security issues introduced with Mojave. The preceding application will pop the following dialogs, which you will click OK on each one. In my experience, this is needed only the first time that you run the application. Afterward, and across a reboot, the script will run without these prompts.

During my testing, I named the application "wip" for work in progress, so that is the application name that appears in these dialogs (which only occur in Mojave or later):

Jan 18, 2019 11:32 AM in response to VikingOSX

I have just tested a short AppleScript that opens a .doc and saves as a .pages document.

There are options when batch processing files:

1. A folder action where you drop a folder of Word documents on a designated folder with assigned folder action, and the batch processing occurs.
  2. An AppleScript application, where you just drop a folder of files on the application, and it does the batch work
  3. An interactive AppleScript application that prompts you for the source folder, and optionally, a destination folder where the .pages documents are written.
    1. By default, the .pages documents are written to the source folder containing the .doc documents

Jan 18, 2019 10:33 AM in response to bassdon

Long-term, you might be better off converting the .doc to .docx, than to Pages document format. Microsoft is less likely to tamper with the .docx specification, than Apple is with future releases of Pages. History demonstrates this point with Apple.

I currently only have AppleScript solutions written to automate Pages document exports, and will have to look into what you want to accomplish, if Pages will allow it.

Jan 18, 2019 11:57 AM in response to VikingOSX

I appreciate the apple and future of pages warning but I have no need for any word docs as I only use macs and icloud and pages is just simpler for me. That said an Applescript would be perfect. I tried to construct one but never could figure it out - are you willing to share yours and I'll try it! Any of the options for source and destination are fine. Thanks -

Convert .doc files to pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.