Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open numbers spreadsheet on my MacBook Pro 2011

Is there a way to update my Numbers 3.6.2 (2577) on my MacBook Pro mid 2011 (ElCapitan v 10.11.6)? I'm getting the message that an update is required when I try to open certain spreadsheets..."It's Time To Update...To open this spreadsheet, you’ll need the latest version of Numbers."

x

MacBook (Starting Late 2009)

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 6:07 PM

Every time you open a Pages or Numbers document on iCloud or an iOS device it is updated to the current version of the app & can no longer be opened by an older version & you will get a message to update to the current version. However, Numbers 5 as well as Pages 7 & Keynote 8, the only versions available in the Mac App Store, require High Sierra, macOS 13.6 or Mojave, macOS 14.x. If updating your Mac is not an option use iWork for iCloud to open the files & then download or share a copy. Do not choose Numbers or Pages as the file type. The best option is to choose Excel or Word as the file type which you can then open with your version of Numbers/Pages or LibreOffice or Excel/Word or a multitude of other apps.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2019 6:07 PM in response to richardchic

Every time you open a Pages or Numbers document on iCloud or an iOS device it is updated to the current version of the app & can no longer be opened by an older version & you will get a message to update to the current version. However, Numbers 5 as well as Pages 7 & Keynote 8, the only versions available in the Mac App Store, require High Sierra, macOS 13.6 or Mojave, macOS 14.x. If updating your Mac is not an option use iWork for iCloud to open the files & then download or share a copy. Do not choose Numbers or Pages as the file type. The best option is to choose Excel or Word as the file type which you can then open with your version of Numbers/Pages or LibreOffice or Excel/Word or a multitude of other apps.

Cannot open numbers spreadsheet on my MacBook Pro 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.