Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

o open this spreadsheet, you’ll need the latest version of Numbers.

I'm getting the above message when I want to open a spreadsheet file in Numbers.

I updated the macOS of my Mac Pro (late 2013) from X EI Capitan to Sierra (not wanting to upgrade to Catalina due to some technical issues I'm experiencing with my MacBook Pro after a recent upgrade). Unfortunately, after the upgrade my OS still reads X EI Capitan - and not able to open some Numbers spreadsheets.

Can someone help?

Mac Pro

Posted on May 25, 2020 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 1:52 PM

Hello Gideon.bina,

Thanks for posting your question! I'd want to make sure I was able to open my documents also, and I'll be happy to see how I can assist with this. I understand you're getting an alert about updating Numbers when you open some documents.

It sounds like there might be some underlying issues that could be relevant. When you say you're having some technical issues, what exactly is happening? Also, are you saying you upgraded from OS X El Capitan to macOS Sierra but you still see OS X El Capitan under Apple menu () > About This Mac?

Regarding Numbers specifically, it sounds like this only happens with some documents. Is that correct? Are you able to open documents successfully in other apps, or do you get a similar error? You might be able to test with Pages or Keynote.

Do you use iCloud? If so, you could try opening the iCloud website from your Mac and see if you're able to open one of the documents there. This could be helpful in narrowing things down.

Also, just to double-check, if you open the App Store and check Updates, are there any available?

I hope this helps you.

Kind regards.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2020 1:52 PM in response to Gideon.bina

Hello Gideon.bina,

Thanks for posting your question! I'd want to make sure I was able to open my documents also, and I'll be happy to see how I can assist with this. I understand you're getting an alert about updating Numbers when you open some documents.

It sounds like there might be some underlying issues that could be relevant. When you say you're having some technical issues, what exactly is happening? Also, are you saying you upgraded from OS X El Capitan to macOS Sierra but you still see OS X El Capitan under Apple menu () > About This Mac?

Regarding Numbers specifically, it sounds like this only happens with some documents. Is that correct? Are you able to open documents successfully in other apps, or do you get a similar error? You might be able to test with Pages or Keynote.

Do you use iCloud? If so, you could try opening the iCloud website from your Mac and see if you're able to open one of the documents there. This could be helpful in narrowing things down.

Also, just to double-check, if you open the App Store and check Updates, are there any available?

I hope this helps you.

Kind regards.

o open this spreadsheet, you’ll need the latest version of Numbers.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.