Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

numbers installtion

I have a fairly old MacBook Pro (mid 2009) running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.

Yesterday I tried opening a Numbers File. I was asked to Update the App. I try to Update but the spinning wheel continues until it eventually just shuts off. If I go thru Apple Store, Updates it indicates No Updates Available. I cannot even open the Numbers File under the old Numbers App, like I do with my Excel Files.

Numbers Update indicates it needs OS X 10.11 or later, which is what is installed on my MacBook

I tried Pages, similar issues.

Any suggestions?

Thank You.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 7:06 PM

HI MBP,

I think you are misreading the system requirements.

You wrote:

"Numbers Update indicates it needs OS X 10.11 or later…

the App store listing says: "Compatibility: macOS 11.0 or higher.

With OS X 10.11, your 'old Numbers" is probably

Numbers '09 (Numbers 2.*), the last version to be installed from a DVD

or Numbers 3.6.2, introduced in circa 2011 in the first rounds of the complete rewrite of the iWork applications.

Your 2009 MBP won't be able to update to Big Sur (macOS 11) or Monterey (macOS 12),

But you might be able to go a few steps higher that El Capitan, and you might be able to get a matching version of Numbers, Pages and Keynote for that OS version.

You can learn more on that possibility in Viking OS X's post here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253446063

As you might infer from the italics caution is advised. The possibility is not a 'sure thing.'

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2022 7:06 PM in response to MacBook Pro171513

HI MBP,

I think you are misreading the system requirements.

You wrote:

"Numbers Update indicates it needs OS X 10.11 or later…

the App store listing says: "Compatibility: macOS 11.0 or higher.

With OS X 10.11, your 'old Numbers" is probably

Numbers '09 (Numbers 2.*), the last version to be installed from a DVD

or Numbers 3.6.2, introduced in circa 2011 in the first rounds of the complete rewrite of the iWork applications.

Your 2009 MBP won't be able to update to Big Sur (macOS 11) or Monterey (macOS 12),

But you might be able to go a few steps higher that El Capitan, and you might be able to get a matching version of Numbers, Pages and Keynote for that OS version.

You can learn more on that possibility in Viking OS X's post here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253446063

As you might infer from the italics caution is advised. The possibility is not a 'sure thing.'

Regards,

Barry

Jan 23, 2022 8:20 AM in response to Barry

Barry, You are absolutely right. It needs OSX 11 and I have OS X 10.11! Old age?!

Still Numbers should at least allow me to Open Files. I can open, read and perform all functions on all my Excel Files on all my Macs but cannot use the latest improvements. With Numbers I can do NOTHING! Disappointed with Apple.

Am going to try Numbers for Cloud. It MAY work. But thanks for your reply.

numbers installtion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.