Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers doesn't get upgrade!

I have Numbers on my Mac which is running on OS El Capitan. I can't upgrade my OS. My mac constantly telling me to upgrade Pages, Numbers. Today I could not even open my old files and it keeps telling me in order to open the file I must first upgrade my Numbers. Going to App Store, I choose Numbers (upgrade) and the cursor is turning and turning and nothing is happening. I don't know what should I do. Neither I can open my files with old version of numbers nor it gets upgraded!

Posted on Jul 15, 2019 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2019 2:23 PM

Apple will pop an informative dialog that a newer version of an <application> is in the Mac App Store when you are running any older version of that application. It does not care whether you can upgrade to it or not, nor is it implying any mandatory upgrade is required.

If any of your Pages, Numbers, or Keynote applications have either crashed, or. you force quit them, you won't be able to open documents until you press and hold the shift key while launching the application.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2019 2:23 PM in response to Persian Matt

Apple will pop an informative dialog that a newer version of an <application> is in the Mac App Store when you are running any older version of that application. It does not care whether you can upgrade to it or not, nor is it implying any mandatory upgrade is required.

If any of your Pages, Numbers, or Keynote applications have either crashed, or. you force quit them, you won't be able to open documents until you press and hold the shift key while launching the application.

Jul 15, 2019 1:04 PM in response to Persian Matt

The versions of Pages, Numbers and Keynote available to download from the App Store have a minimum operating system requirement of macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

Why can you no longer open the files you have on your El Capitan Mac what have you done differently, or were these files perhaps altered on another Mac running a newer version of Numbers and then imported back to your Mac, unfortunately there is no backwards compatibility.

Jul 15, 2019 2:06 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Documents currently created in Pages, Numbers, and Keynote (v8.1, v6.1, v9.1), and the current iCloud counterparts, can be opened by Pages v5.6, Numbers v3.6, and Keynote 6.6 on El Capitan. What gets dicey is that the mentioned applications also consider certain obsolete Mac products as unsupported, and if for instance, one has El Capitan installed on a 2009 iMac, and Pages v{5.6, 5.6.1, 5.6.2} installed, the newer document won't open because of the unsupported hardware. The iWork '09 applications cannot open these new documents until they are exported in the iWork '09 document formats.

Numbers doesn't get upgrade!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.