Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i Mac & Numbers

Existing spreadsheets won't open. I get the message, The document "Index" is invalid. The index.xml file is missing. I'm on an iMac (24 inc, Early 2008), OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, and Numbers '09 version 2.3. I've tried upgrading Numbers but get a continuous circling gear icon. So the question is, how can I open existing spreadsheets? Or has Apple screwed me with all their updates?

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 9:40 AM

4 replies

Jan 20, 2019 11:28 AM in response to bundy toot

I suggest making sure you have a back up of your computer before you follow this process:

Start the application "Launch Pad" then locate the new version of Numbers:

Icon looks like this:

click and hold on the icon until is starts to shake. Then click the "X". This removes the application (you may have to enter your Admin password).

then type the escape key to exit Launch Pad. Now start the App Store and install Numbers.

Try to open the document after Numbers is updated.

Jan 19, 2019 7:05 PM in response to bundy toot

Are you inadvertently trying to open "newer" documents with an older version of Numbers that can't read them? You would get "newer" versions of a document if you opened it in Numbers for iOS or with a newer version of Numbers on your Mac.

You may have two versions of Numbers on your Mac, one in the Applications folder and one in a subfolder within Applications.

The newer version is in the main Applications folder.

Launch that one and File > Open the document you want.

SG

Jan 20, 2019 4:27 PM in response to bundy toot

All is not lost...

... if you keep your Numbers documents in iCloud Drive. Or you have Time Machine or an other backup system. You should have that, in any case!

If you keep your documents in iCloud Drive you can try signing into Cloud.com and opening the document in Numbers for iCloud. Once it's open there you can click the 'wrench' tool icon at the top and choose 'Download a Copy...' or 'Send a Copy...' Try the different formats to see if any of them work for you. Sometimes it is possible to download or send as Excel and then just open that in the latest version of Numbers that you have on your machine.

If you have Time Machine you can try going back in time and 'restoring' the last version of the document that your Numbers can open.

SG

i Mac & Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.