Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My headphone jack on my MacBook Pro isn’t working

I have plugged in my headphones it isn’t working. I checked the settings for sound and it is showing internal speakers for both the sound output and sound input while my headphones are plugged. How can I resolve it ?

Mac Pro

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 7:17 PM

Try a different set of headphones, and check whether the cable and the plug or the jack appears damaged.

Try Safe Mode too, on the off chance some add-on tool has insinuated itself into the audio path.

The following is for the opposite problem, but the cause is usually damage to the jack.

Get help if the internal speakers on your Mac don't make sound - Apple Support

These can end up requiring repair.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2019 7:17 PM in response to noye179

Try a different set of headphones, and check whether the cable and the plug or the jack appears damaged.

Try Safe Mode too, on the off chance some add-on tool has insinuated itself into the audio path.

The following is for the opposite problem, but the cause is usually damage to the jack.

Get help if the internal speakers on your Mac don't make sound - Apple Support

These can end up requiring repair.

Jan 19, 2019 7:21 PM in response to noye179

Try cleaning out the headphone jack and then insert a headphone several time. Sometimes the jack gets stuck.

Sound problems

In the Terminal, type that:

sudo killall coreaudiod

And in the sound preferences, make sure your internal speakers (and not HDMI or other device) is selected.

Other resources:

http://www.iphonetopics.com/no-sound-after-upgrading-to-os-x-yosemite/

http://betanews.com/2014/08/26/how-to-fix-disabled-audio-in-os-x-10-10-yosemite- beta/

My headphone jack on my MacBook Pro isn’t working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.