Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac freeze when trying to boot Win7

I have a MacBook Pro Late 2011and I've been trying for a while now to dual boot it with windows (10, 8.1 or 7).

Bootcamp only showing me windows 7 option I create a bootable usb disk of windows 10 with rufus but after installing the os and the bootcamp drivers for win10 I always have a serious graphic issue so I gave up on win10. With Win8.1 it works too but since I don't have a key I couldn't proceed farther.

But Win7 it's another story the system just won't boot it, when i select the usb drive with win7 everything just freeze in place.

I've followed some other post and modify some part of info.plist file but still won't boot only on windows 7.

I don't know what to do anymore, if anyone had similar issue hope they can enlight me.

MacBook

Posted on Jan 20, 2019 2:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2019 2:41 AM

On a 2011 model, you need to use the built-in Optical drive and install W7/W8.1. W10 installation is not supported as there are no W10 drivers for a 2011 Model. Windows USB installers do not work properly.

See Install Windows on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support for reference for W10 support.

Also, see

Install Windows 7 on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support

Use Windows 8.1 on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2019 2:41 AM in response to Ouattara

On a 2011 model, you need to use the built-in Optical drive and install W7/W8.1. W10 installation is not supported as there are no W10 drivers for a 2011 Model. Windows USB installers do not work properly.

See Install Windows on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support for reference for W10 support.

Also, see

Install Windows 7 on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support

Use Windows 8.1 on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support

Jan 20, 2019 3:02 AM in response to Ouattara

Honestly I don't even know what the difference is, if you can please explain a little I'll be able to answer.

If you do not have a physical DVD of W7 installer, download the W7 ISO from Microsoft using your Product Key. Burn the ISO image to a DVD-R SL blank DVD. In your BC Assistant screen, you should have only two options as shown in Bootcamp User Interface - Apple Community.

What I know is that bootcamp ask to download an official image of win7 os from windows which I did to use with bootcamp.

You can download the W7 ISO from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7, but you must use a physical DVD. Does your Optical drive (CD/DVD drive) work properly?

Jan 20, 2019 2:47 AM in response to Loner T

I’ve follow the instruction on how to install windows 7 on Mac using bootcamp before but same thing.

After bootcamp partition my disk and is supposed to restart the computer instead of doing that it just turn off the computer and I c’ant turn it on until I hold the power button for a good 10sec. Even after doing that I tried to manually choose the disk create by bootcamp by holding ‘Alt’ at the start, again when I choose the disk with the win7 install on it everything freeze.

Mac freeze when trying to boot Win7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.