Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family sharing: accessing primary iTunes library

Hello community!

Going wayyyy back, my husband and I shared one laptop where we uploaded all of our CD's. It was associated with his apple ID. Once the cloud came about, he uploaded it all into iCloud. Then came iPhones... my husband and I each have our own ID's.

I've signed up his account with iTunes match, and turned on family sharing...but it still seems that I can't access our primary library when logged in as myself. I then signed us up for Apple Music and have been paying $15/mo but still can't seem to access the library associated with his ID. (Plus, I don't feel like I should have to pay $15/mo for the privilege of accessing my own music that I downloaded from CD and uploaded into the cloud in the first place!)

I've read dozens of help articles which all cross-reference each other and haven't figured this out yet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jan 20, 2019 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2019 1:53 PM

Family sharing allows you to share iTunes Store purchases between members of the family group. It doesn't apply to anything ripped from CD or obtained through non-iTunes services. iTunes Match is a single user annual subscription service that lets the user access matched or uploaded content for download or streaming in the same way that they would their purchased music, and also shares playlists between devices signed into the same Apple ID. Apple Music extends iTunes Match to other content in the iTunes Store that the user can choose to add to their own library. An Apple Music family plan should let multiple users have the benefits of Apple Music for a reduced subscription. I've not used it personally but as far as I know each user is treated independently. There may be an issue adding downloaded tracks from Apple ID into an iCloud Music Library of a different Apple ID. See About iCloud Music Library icons and status - Apple Support to check on the status of tracks that you've added to the library.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2019 1:53 PM in response to smap-d

Family sharing allows you to share iTunes Store purchases between members of the family group. It doesn't apply to anything ripped from CD or obtained through non-iTunes services. iTunes Match is a single user annual subscription service that lets the user access matched or uploaded content for download or streaming in the same way that they would their purchased music, and also shares playlists between devices signed into the same Apple ID. Apple Music extends iTunes Match to other content in the iTunes Store that the user can choose to add to their own library. An Apple Music family plan should let multiple users have the benefits of Apple Music for a reduced subscription. I've not used it personally but as far as I know each user is treated independently. There may be an issue adding downloaded tracks from Apple ID into an iCloud Music Library of a different Apple ID. See About iCloud Music Library icons and status - Apple Support to check on the status of tracks that you've added to the library.

tt2

Family sharing: accessing primary iTunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.