Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2011 iMac shuts itself down after third of progress bar? Any solutions known to work or what the fault may be?

As above, working fine in the morning when we came to switch on in the afternoon it would not boot up. Progress bar about a third then shuts down. Any solution or what it may be? Late 2011 iMac.

Posted on Jan 20, 2019 11:05 AM

7 replies

Jan 20, 2019 11:40 AM in response to KarlimusMeridius

The only other scenario would be to boot from an external drive (option key) that contains the same version of OS X/macOS to see if it is an installation issue with the current boot drive, or a hardware problem. The latter will be problematic, because your iMac is too old to be serviced by Apple or Apple Service Centers — it has been more than five years since manufacture of that model year ceased.

Jan 20, 2019 11:46 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks, we have an MacBook pro that is running Hi Sierra we may have to update the iMac with that after various keyboard configurations. We were due to purchase a new iMac in October when it was thought they would be released so very disappointed that Apple have been wasting time on their failed iPhone, iPad products instead of release in 2018. Tempted to move across to PC instead of wasting time with Apple as they are becoming unreliable. We can not keep waiting for their new products and it is pointless purchasing an iMac now as they will no doubt release new systems in 2019.

Jan 20, 2019 5:14 PM in response to KarlimusMeridius

Apple's iOS devices are not being held hostage by Intel, which is why Apple can release those n-tuple Billions revenue iOS products independent of Desktop and mobile release schedules that are highly dependent on Intel's processor availability timelines. If I were Apple, I too would be waiting to put the newest released generation of Intel CPU/graphics into 2019 iMacs.

You might want to take a deep breath before leaping into Windows 10, where Microsoft has royally screwed up product updates this Fall. You can read about that in the trade rags. You might not have a sense of humor after a Windows 10 update deletes user files, or demoted a license from Windows 10 Professional to Windows 10 home. Apple has far less issues. I have been running Windows 10 since I converted from Windows 7, and I simply do not have the confidence in Microsoft updates as I do with Apple.

Jan 20, 2019 5:25 PM in response to KarlimusMeridius

Please run First Aid in the Recovery Partition 3-4 times back to back and see if any errors appear. I strongly suspect the HD is failing and needs to be replaced. If any errors appear that confirms my hunch however if none appear that only means FA did not detect them. You should take the computer to an Apple Authorized Service Provider to be professionally tested and then they can tell what is wrong. From there you can decide what you want to do. Otherwise you are guessing and wasting time.

Jan 20, 2019 5:41 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you, though the reason to use a forum is to find out if anyone has similar situation and can offer advice to find solution, a prerogative, so not a waste of time. If we can solve it ourselves with help, all the better and more fun that just handing it over. Authorised Apple is a last resort, they do not have a good reputation!

Late 2011 iMac shuts itself down after third of progress bar? Any solutions known to work or what the fault may be?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.