Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I try connecting display's video cable directly to the Mac when it can't be done?

"If you're using a display hub, switchbox, or "KVM," try connecting your display's video cable directly to your Mac instead."

This is the APPLE support answer for a monitor that doesn't work when connected with a USB-C (thunderbolt3) adapter with HDMI. Since there is no HDMI port on a 2018 MacBook Air, do I just throw out the monitor and buy a new one with Thunderbolt3 since there is no way to connect it directly? And this goes for the external HD as well that I have so I can backup the HD and have expandability due to the smaller SS internal HD.

How do I connect the printer, monitor, USB hub with keyboard, mouse dongle, extra slot for flash drives, webcam to my 2018 MacBook Air? What is the recommended adapter for under $100. IS there one? And if not, what's the cheapest?

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Jan 20, 2019 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2019 8:55 AM

Adapters and cables.

It is good you are doing some research upfront.

Personally I have good experience in quality and price with Mononprice company.

There are many types of USB3 hubs so the choice is yours.

Similar questions

14 replies

Jan 20, 2019 1:45 PM in response to TuckerdogAVL

Not all monitors are compatible. It would help if we knew a bit more about yours, like what is its make & model and what ports does it have for video? Based on your post, it has at least, a HDMI port ... correct?

Since you have a 2018 MacBook Air, you know that your notebook only comes with USB-C ports ... that also support Thunderbolt 3 devices. Not all USB-C ports do. In your case, these ports can support DisplayPort, VGA, HDMI, and Thunderbolt 2 video output with the correct adapters.

One adapter that should work, is the Apple USB-C Digital AV Adapter. This adapter has a USB-C connector on one end and a HDMI, a USB, and a USB-C port on the other end.

Ref: Connect to HDMI from your Mac - Apple Support

Jan 21, 2019 9:05 AM in response to TuckerdogAVL

Maybe something like this would work for your case: OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock

The bottom line is that I doubt anyone here has the exact same combination of peripherals that you do and a 2018 MacBook Air to guarantee that everything "just works."

You do have a few options available to you:

1. Make an appointment at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider and let them know what peripherals that you want to connect to a 2018 MacBook Air. Better still take them with you if possible.
  2. Go ahead and purchase the MBA. You will have 14-days to try it out and if, not satisfied, return it.
  3. If cost is a major issue, you may want to consider getting a non-Apple product.

Jan 20, 2019 3:38 PM in response to TuckerdogAVL

How do I connect the printer, monitor, USB hub with keyboard, mouse dongle, extra slot for flash drives, webcam to my 2018 MacBook Air? 

I am sorry, but the Macbook Air is considered a light travel companion; if you require a multitude of accessories, you may want to seriously consider a computer that will serve your needs better than one with minimal connection options. FWIW, you need another connection for your external backup drive.

Jan 21, 2019 8:10 AM in response to Tesserax

I don't have a 2018 MacBook Air. I'm shopping for one. I cannot afford to purchase a $1300 computer that may or may not allow me to possibly hook up it depends my peripherals asterisk. So, I appreciate your answer. As I mentioned, I need to know what adapter I can purchase that has USB, HDMI to be able to use hundreds of dollars of existing items i.e. printer, keyboard, mouse, HD backup, HD external for expanding the small internal HDs that now are installed, a webcam and a monitor. I wish I could afford the computer AND the $399 plugable adapter AND $269 in AppleCare but I can't. :-)

So, you think I can put in an 8-port USB Hub into the USB port to run all these items that are USB? in the Apple USB-C Digital AV Adapter?

Jan 21, 2019 8:14 AM in response to babowa

I need to use it as both. Just like I have used the 2009 MacBook Pro. It has worked perfectly as a harddrive and laptop when needed. I cannot afford both. Re: the external. That is why I'm looking for an adapter that utilizes both the USB-C ports... either as a one piece that connects and you don't lose one, or another USB-C to USB connector will have to go into that port.

There is no Apple laptop that doesn't offer minimal connection options anymore. Hence, the need for an adapter. There sure are a lot of sites that awesomely advertise their awesomeness as "enterprise" solutions. This shouldn't be any different than hooking up a laptop to a monitor and mouse, and the external that has the boring Powerpoint presentation on it when traveling to a conference. :-)

Jan 21, 2019 11:18 AM in response to TuckerdogAVL

Understood; I don't think there is a newer Apple laptop today which would or could fill your peripheral needs. But it is an excellent suggestion to go to a store and present them with the potential difficulties; it appears that Apple assumes everyone is doing everything "in the cloud" and has no need for anything cabled. They don't make appointments for sales related visits as the Genius Bar appears totally focused on hardware problems/repairs.

Jan 21, 2019 12:00 PM in response to Tesserax

yes, this would most likely work, except with my wallet. I have talked to the guys at the local Apple store. All the answers are "visa, mastercard or American express" "can't guarantee anything" "it depends" "maybe" "here's something for another $300" "or this would work for $2000" "or not" "it depends" ... it truly is amazing.

Yes, cost is a major issue but I haven't done Windows since 1998 and cannot return to it now. Besides, by the time you purchase the laptop and everything with a decent machine with Windows, you have the horrifying nightmare of Windows and about the same costs. I didn't know about the 14 days however. That's possibly a way to go. Purchase the adapters, get the laptop and give it go ... return if needed. Good tip.

Jan 21, 2019 12:17 PM in response to babowa

And all for ridiculous fees. Case in point: Microsoft Word. You can "rent" it for $60 a year or you can purchase outright for $129. I just upgraded to Word 2016 last year from 2008. Savings from not being "in the cloud": over $400. What did I miss? I can't make the tool bar a different color or add emoticons on it. :-) And, I might add, as is usually the case when things are upgraded for just the sake of it, there are certain things that used to take 1 step now take 3 ... Another: Photoshop. Fortunately I "purchased" and upgraded Photoshop 10 years ago, when I no longer needed the creative suite. I use it about 15 times a year. I can't afford $1700 for their program or "just simply" pay $30/month now ... insane.

How do I try connecting display's video cable directly to the Mac when it can't be done?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.