Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

activity monitor, root task using too much ram and cpu

Problem: Computer is too slow

Description:

Root process is taking up 99.9 cpu and 20+ GB of memory and climbing. Program comes back after ending task.

Not sure what to do here. Any help would be kind, thank you.

Posted on Jan 21, 2019 1:13 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 21, 2019 2:00 PM in response to Relied

Run this and post the results here

‎EtreCheck on the Mac App Store

Because of the length of the report past it into the text box of this forum. Click on the page icoin in the bottom menu bar of the reply box and paste the results there. Use the apps Paste to Clipboard function to copy.

Googling did not show anything for that process, it may be malware

Jan 22, 2019 2:18 PM in response to Relied

Only out of the ordinary items are:

• the " SmashEnabler.kext " kernel extension. That seems to be associated with GameCube controllers on the WiiU when playing Smash Brothers. Maybe the run away process is associated with that. To test try unloading that kext using these instruction.

https://superuser.com/questions/385/how-do-i-uninstall-and-remove-a-kext-on-mac-os-x

• You have a Fusion drive and the runaway process may be associated that that, however, I really have little knowledge about a Fusion drive.

Jan 21, 2019 1:43 PM in response to lllaass

Mac Mini Late 2012, Mac OS Mojave version 10.14.1

The Process name is UrgXYZQLJ, the user is root. Currently now taking up 59.21 GB of memory and climbing. The next largest file is only 283 mb.

I only have 10 GB of RAM, so it must be using memory from the harddrive.

It shows physical memory: 10 GB

memory used 9.07 GB

Cached files 931 mb

Swap used 24.86 GB (climbing)

App memory 2.25 GB

Wired memory 2.04 GB

Compressed 4.78 GB

Memory pressure is not red, but it is high and will drop down when i end the process. The process will just come back.

As for CPU it is using 99.1 on 1 thread, and looks to be using just 13% of the CPU, as 77% is idle.

I really just don't understand why it is using so much memory and why it continues to climb up.

activity monitor, root task using too much ram and cpu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.