Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Playlist not in album order on Mac or iPhone

In iTunes, version 12.9.2.5, I selected all the tracks on an album and went to new playlist from selection.

The resulting playlist on the Mac was in a random order, not the album order. When I sync'ed my iPhone to the Mac and selected the new playlist, it appeared in music in the random order. I then deselected the playlist and sync'ed the iPhone again. The playlist did not appear in the iPhone library.

I then went to the Mac and found a way to view the playlist as songs and they appeared in the album order. When I sync'ed the phone again, the playlist was in a random order.

What am I doing wrong?

MacBook Pro Retina (2015 and later)

Posted on Jan 21, 2019 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2019 9:02 AM

Having got the playlist the way you want it in iTunes right-click on the playlist name in the sidebar and click Copy to Play Order, then sync once more. Your device should get the updated order. If not remove the list then add it back again.

tt2

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 21, 2019 2:58 PM in response to turnerhj

Play order is usually the order in which items are added to the list. If the list is in play order you should be able to manually drag items up or down the list to change the order. Choosing other sort orders from the view menu or by clicking column headings in the Songs view will change the display order in iTunes without changing the play order until you use the context menu. Your devices get the play order, not the display order.

tt2

iTunes Playlist not in album order on Mac or iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.