Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When and how does the clock reset for parental control time limits?

We bought a new iPad (MR7G2LL/A) for our daughter for Christmas, and I've set up the parental controls to limit certain websites and limit the amount of time she can use certain apps. I assumed that the time limits would reset at midnight, but it isn't doing that. When we wake the iPad up in the morning, the apps that were timed out the day before are still timed out. Is the clock bases on days, or is it on a rolling 24-hour basis? Or, does the iPad need to be powered down completely in order to "reset the clock"? We let it sleep and recharge, but we don't power down every day.

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 21, 2019 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2019 9:17 AM

Depends on exactly what you are doing for the limits.

There's 2 ways to limit apps, either by setting Down Time in Settings->Screen Time->Down Time, or by setting App Category time limits in Settings->Screen Time->App Limits.

The first one sets a time frame between which most apps on the device cannot be used except for the ones you allow. 10pm to 6am. For instance.

The second one sets a specific amount of time specific app categories can be used during the day. If you set 3 hours for say Games, then Apps that are defined as games will be unavailable once they have been accessed and used for a total of 3 hours in a single day. The time is added up for all apps that are defined as games. so 20 minutes in one game, 30 minutes in another etc... all add up.

The count should reset at midnight yes. However Downtime and App limits are not mutually exclusive. That means that while the time limit may have reset, Downtime can be active and as such disabling the apps.

Check how Down Time and App Limits are set up.

You don't need to turn off the iPad or restore it. If the Apps are still disabled, then make sure they are not being used say at 2:30 am for whatever amount of time is allotted. It's entirely possible they are being used at times they should be being used.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2019 9:17 AM in response to James Altemus

Depends on exactly what you are doing for the limits.

There's 2 ways to limit apps, either by setting Down Time in Settings->Screen Time->Down Time, or by setting App Category time limits in Settings->Screen Time->App Limits.

The first one sets a time frame between which most apps on the device cannot be used except for the ones you allow. 10pm to 6am. For instance.

The second one sets a specific amount of time specific app categories can be used during the day. If you set 3 hours for say Games, then Apps that are defined as games will be unavailable once they have been accessed and used for a total of 3 hours in a single day. The time is added up for all apps that are defined as games. so 20 minutes in one game, 30 minutes in another etc... all add up.

The count should reset at midnight yes. However Downtime and App limits are not mutually exclusive. That means that while the time limit may have reset, Downtime can be active and as such disabling the apps.

Check how Down Time and App Limits are set up.

You don't need to turn off the iPad or restore it. If the Apps are still disabled, then make sure they are not being used say at 2:30 am for whatever amount of time is allotted. It's entirely possible they are being used at times they should be being used.

Jan 21, 2019 9:19 AM in response to mdhurst

Thanks. It was a better explanation that Apple's, because it mentions a 24-hour basis. It doesn't specify WHAT 24 hours though. Does the 24 hours begin and end at midnight local time, or is it supposed to reset when the iPad is put to sleep or shut down? Because right now, none of those things are happening and I'm not seeing an obvious setting I missed.

For example, I set a 30-minute limit on the YouTube app, and once that limit is reached, I can enter my PIN to extend the time. My question is, when does the limit reset to 30 minutes?

When and how does the clock reset for parental control time limits?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.