Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod touch frequently and continuously drops Bluetooth connection

I recently upgraded the OS on my iPod Touch to 12.1.1. Everything had been working perfectly with Bluetooth between the iPod and my car's sound system, headphones, and Wonderboom bluetooth speaker prior to this update - for years - but since the update I cannot get more than a couple of minutes of connectivity to any device at all before it drops out. It usually (but not always) reconnects after 5 to 10 seconds, and usually (but not always) automatically resumes playing where it left off.

There are no answers whatsoever that I can find anywhere to similar issues except blurry "reset your iPod" type statements and laying blame on the receiving device. This is not the answer I'm looking for - it's the usual IT response when there's no known solution. Apple Support are spectacularly poor at the moment when it comes to iPods, seeming to have shifted their music focus to Apple Music, which they expect everyone to access via phones, tablets and computers.

I've tried shut down and restart, removing the bluetooth connections and re-creating, tinkering with other settings, but nothing helps.

Posted on Jan 25, 2019 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2019 1:44 PM

Hello aerosol,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand from the information you provided that you’re having issues with your Bluetooth connection after updating; I'd like to help.

If you haven't already, please restart your iPhone and follow the steps in these Apple resources on Bluetooth issues.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ​

Potential sources of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference

If you can't connect a Bluetooth accessory to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you still have issues, update you iPod to iOS 12.1.3 to see if that helps:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If after updating you still have issues with your Bluetooth, use iTunes on your Mac or PC to backup and restore your iOS software to factory settings, as this process erases the information and settings on your device and installs a fresh copy of the latest iOS software. Temporarily set up your phone as new to test your issues, and then restore your back up and test the issues again.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ​

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to factory settings ​

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

Best Regards.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2019 1:44 PM in response to aerosol

Hello aerosol,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand from the information you provided that you’re having issues with your Bluetooth connection after updating; I'd like to help.

If you haven't already, please restart your iPhone and follow the steps in these Apple resources on Bluetooth issues.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ​

Potential sources of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference

If you can't connect a Bluetooth accessory to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you still have issues, update you iPod to iOS 12.1.3 to see if that helps:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If after updating you still have issues with your Bluetooth, use iTunes on your Mac or PC to backup and restore your iOS software to factory settings, as this process erases the information and settings on your device and installs a fresh copy of the latest iOS software. Temporarily set up your phone as new to test your issues, and then restore your back up and test the issues again.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ​

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to factory settings ​

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

Best Regards.

Feb 18, 2019 2:37 PM in response to chris_g1

Chris,

Thanks for the reply, but this did not help resolve the issue. Here's how it is:

• Restart your iPod Touch

Done that, several times. Changed/disabled settings, etc

• Sources of interference

It's not interference. This happens in any location: home, car, out in the middle of nowhere.

• If you can't connect bluetooth devices...

I can connect to any device from the iPod touch, it just does not maintain the connection.

• Update your iPod touch

Done that, to the latest version. It made no difference.

So here, again, is the problem.

The iPod touch was working perfectly, connecting to four separate Bluetooth devices without issues:

• Car system (actually three different cars with different systems)
  • BeatsX headphones
  • Pioneer stereo system
  • Wonderboom bluetooth speaker

Then I updated to the latest iOS version. Since that update, the iPod has been unable to maintain a connection to a Bluetooth device - any of the above - for more than 5 minutes at a time. I have ensured that all devices are fully charged, even when connected to power I experience the issue. The problem was the software update, there's no doubt about it. I have had this iPod for three years or more and never had a problem with it. I use it every day with Bluetooth in my car, and the issue appeared the very first time I used it after the update. That very same day I tried it with all devices with the same result. I then updated the iPod to the latest version of iOS a few weeks later, as soon as it came out, and it made no difference.

Just so you're aware, I have been using iPhones since version 3, iPods for 10 years, I have an Apple Mac, an iPad and an Apple Watch, so am no stranger to device connectivity/bluetooth/networking. The iPod is the victim of a bad update.

My final attempt at fixing this issue myself should be to attempt to reset the iPod back to factory settings. Unfortunately, this is not entirely possible. As soon as I reset it, it will install the latest but one version of iOS, which would leave me with the wrong version of iOS. I want this iPod restored to a version prior to the bad update, but Apple does not support such a move. This is a very bad idea, since iOS updates have been so bad in the past they have left devices crippled. This iPod is in perfect condition, and having it crippled due to no fault of my own - due to a software update - is something that Apple will need to fix. Warranties do not come into play here as it has nothing to do with the hardware.

Joe

iPod touch frequently and continuously drops Bluetooth connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.