Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I access my photos library on a Time machine backed up drive onto a Windows machine?

Hi - I have a windows laptop and an external drive with a time machine backup. It has my whole photos library in there which I would like to move over to my new windows machine. I have managed to use a trial version of HFS+ which reads the individual files, but they are all incremental backups and I am not really sure how to do this or even how to do it efficiently. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Posted on Jan 26, 2019 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2019 10:24 AM

One can't access a Time Machine backup without launching the Time Machine app on a Mac and entering the backup thru the app. Neither the backup nor the app is + compatible with Windows.

If you want the photos to be accessible to a Windows machine you need to open the Photos libkrary on a Mac and export all of the original photos to folders on an external HD formatted for a Windows machine, FAT 32 or exFat.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2019 10:24 AM in response to emoubayed

One can't access a Time Machine backup without launching the Time Machine app on a Mac and entering the backup thru the app. Neither the backup nor the app is + compatible with Windows.

If you want the photos to be accessible to a Windows machine you need to open the Photos libkrary on a Mac and export all of the original photos to folders on an external HD formatted for a Windows machine, FAT 32 or exFat.

Can I access my photos library on a Time machine backed up drive onto a Windows machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.