Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon XF MXF files in FPCX

Is anyone out here using the new Canon XF705 with h.265 HEVC files in FPCX? Do you know a workaround to get that footage into a timeline to work with it? Do we know when FPCX will support this new camera and codec?

Mac Pro, 10.13

Posted on Jan 26, 2019 7:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2019 7:26 PM

I've scoured the internet on this matter. There's no easy fix. And our idea to remux the files bore no fruit. We'll have to wait until Canon and Apple have a developer pow-wow before we'll be able to just drop these files into FCPx.

The only way to use these files on Macintosh at this time is to:

• Download and install the Canon XF-HEVC Decoder from https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/camcorders/professional/xf705?subtab=downloads-software
  • Import files to Davinci Studio (the $300 full version)
  • Export out of Davinci to ideally ProRes.
  • Import to whatever you're editing with, like FCPx.

Changing the extension to .mpeg doesn't work. It might trick Adobe products into opening them, but they are stuttered and not rendered correctly.

As far as what to do with them once in FCPx, if your output was cLog, don't use any camera LUTs. None of them work including, ironically, the ones Canon provides on the support page for this camera. You'll have to grade the straight cLog footage directly, which isn't so bad. This camera, cLOG and h265 put out wonderfully clean waveforms. After you get a basic grade, you can apply style LUTs using the FCPx LUT effect. Just keep in mind that you want to use the mix slider and keep it below 50% for most LUTs.

As I mentioned in a prior post, this camera is going to be quite popular with the ENG market, which is huge. I imagine Apple will need to address this sooner rather than later. Especially given that the only way to open these files is to use a competing NLE.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2019 7:26 PM in response to kwiggers14

I've scoured the internet on this matter. There's no easy fix. And our idea to remux the files bore no fruit. We'll have to wait until Canon and Apple have a developer pow-wow before we'll be able to just drop these files into FCPx.

The only way to use these files on Macintosh at this time is to:

• Download and install the Canon XF-HEVC Decoder from https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/camcorders/professional/xf705?subtab=downloads-software
  • Import files to Davinci Studio (the $300 full version)
  • Export out of Davinci to ideally ProRes.
  • Import to whatever you're editing with, like FCPx.

Changing the extension to .mpeg doesn't work. It might trick Adobe products into opening them, but they are stuttered and not rendered correctly.

As far as what to do with them once in FCPx, if your output was cLog, don't use any camera LUTs. None of them work including, ironically, the ones Canon provides on the support page for this camera. You'll have to grade the straight cLog footage directly, which isn't so bad. This camera, cLOG and h265 put out wonderfully clean waveforms. After you get a basic grade, you can apply style LUTs using the FCPx LUT effect. Just keep in mind that you want to use the mix slider and keep it below 50% for most LUTs.

As I mentioned in a prior post, this camera is going to be quite popular with the ENG market, which is huge. I imagine Apple will need to address this sooner rather than later. Especially given that the only way to open these files is to use a competing NLE.

Jan 27, 2019 6:33 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

When I import, only audio comes in. Its a .MXF file from my Canon XF705. I believe its considered Canon XF MXF. I don't know what "full specs" you're looking for, but file type is Material eXchange Format and the codec says Linear PCM. I don't know what the codec means to be honest.

Each clip has a .XML file attached to it and a .THM as well that are greyed out because they're just sidecar files.

FCP: 10.4.5

Jan 30, 2019 4:00 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

The encoding format is h.265, which Apple completely supports. The problem seems to be that Canon is putting this into an MXF wrapper, confusing the utilities, we imagine. We're working on writing a remuxer that will simply rewrap the file into a proper .mov file without re-encoding which MacOS should be able to use properly. Even if we get this to work, it's not an ideal solution. I hope Apple jumps on this as the XF705 is the replacement for the XF300, a work horse in the ENG world. This new camera is so popular, they are on backorder everywhere. Expect a deluge of inquiries like KWigger's. As of now, the only solution (which I have yet to confirm at a rather large cost) is to purchase the full version of DaVinci Studio and then import the Canon files and render them back out as ProRes. Developers can find sample footage of this format at the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uam3s1bvralba07/AADfc7RvwmhEA-rLJ8pDjz8la?dl=0

Canon XF MXF files in FPCX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.