Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I clean up my menubar Wi-Fi menu?

I've recently renamed the networks created by my Airport Extreme Time Capsule and also changed their passwords to make them more secure. Although I went to System Preferences>Network>WiFi>Advanced… and deleted the previous names that no longer correspond to any actual available networks, the former names remain in my Menubar dropdown WiFi menu. How do I remove them from the list?

I did post this question on the "Airport" community. I received responses from one level 10 member who could not duplicate my issue. He suggested that perhaps allowing passwords to be saved in my iCloud keychain could have caused this (I have multiple Macs, including a well-traveled late 2016 Touch Bar 15" MacBook Pro that likes to "harvest" SSIDs wherever I go, then transfer them to my never-leaves-home late 2017 21" iMac when I'm back at home. I could use help preventing that from happening too, because the iMac is what's connected to my customer-owned "Cable Modem." My ISP is Comcast, who's trying to create a seamless omnipresent open network by configuring the cable modems they rent to customers to broadcast "xfinity wifi" SSIDs (and placing hardware on the utility poles that also broadcasts the same WiFi access points. Those pop up in my iMac's menubar "Wi-Fi" dropdown menu as well, and sometimes my iMac will attempt to bond to one of those instead of my own Airport Extreme's SSID and amputate my internet access!!!

MacBook Pro 15", 10.12

Posted on Jan 27, 2019 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2019 5:55 PM

Well, I don't have a Time Capsule here, but I do have a 4th generation AEBS. Once you gain access to the router configuration panel, select the Wireless tab. The wireless name that you create here is the 2.4Ghz one, and further down on this first panel is the 2.4 Ghz guest SSID. At the bottom on this panel, there is a Wireless Options… button.

The Wireless options has the check box for the 5Ghz SSID name, the radio mode, and you should have selected 2.4Ghz Channel Automatic. Now you have one 5Ghz SSID, and two 2.4Ghz SSID (if you configured a guest).

If you changed anything, don't forget to click on Update to save the new settings, and reboot your Time Capsule.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2019 5:55 PM in response to JimRobertson

Well, I don't have a Time Capsule here, but I do have a 4th generation AEBS. Once you gain access to the router configuration panel, select the Wireless tab. The wireless name that you create here is the 2.4Ghz one, and further down on this first panel is the 2.4 Ghz guest SSID. At the bottom on this panel, there is a Wireless Options… button.

The Wireless options has the check box for the 5Ghz SSID name, the radio mode, and you should have selected 2.4Ghz Channel Automatic. Now you have one 5Ghz SSID, and two 2.4Ghz SSID (if you configured a guest).

If you changed anything, don't forget to click on Update to save the new settings, and reboot your Time Capsule.

Jan 27, 2019 10:01 AM in response to JimRobertson

That menu bar panel reflects all of the nearby Wi-Fi routers that it can detect at the current time. The Network panel : Advanced… : Wi-Fi listing is a history of all routers that have been sniffed, or connected to by your MacBook Pro, OR your iOS device, and resynced back to your MacBook Pro. You can clear this out, and it will re-populate on you. Just uncheck those ssid that you do not want to automatically join.

Jan 27, 2019 10:34 AM in response to VikingOSX

Here's the issue: When updating my Time Capsule 3 TB (802.11ac), I changed the name of its primary SSID, which was equivalent to "Myfirstname Mylastname MyTown 5 GHz," and replaced it with "MyInitials 5.5 GHz." Of course, the SSID is broadcast on the 5 GHz band, not 5.5 GHz, so I edited it again, to "MyInitials 5 GHz."

Only the last of these currently exists as an SSID broadcast by my Time Capsule, but the other two still appear in the menubar dropdown list, and also show up on my iOS devices' "CHOOSE A NETWORK…" lists

I'm looking for some way to get rid of those defunct Wi-Fi SSID names on all my macOS and iOS devices.

Jan 27, 2019 1:42 PM in response to Ruskes

I did that several times in System Preferences, but that didn't cause no-longer-active SSIDs to disappear from the dropdown menu beneath the Wi-Fi Chevron in my macOS Sierra (10.12.6) menubar. The proximate reason I have deprecated WiFi SSID public names is because I had used the same password for my Wi-Fi network and for access to a home security system from Nest, Inc., and that has been reported recently to produce scary results from people whose passwords have been breached on other servers. After recreating my usual and guest networks, with new names and new passwords, the old WiFi network names didn't initially disappear from the dropdown list. Just now I recreated those main and guest WiFi networks (not their real names), and for some reason the legacy names have disappeared.

However, now I have another issue: my Brother Laser Printer can't join my WiFi networks, and I'm wondering if perhaps my Time Capsule is not broadcasting on both the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz band (the printer cannot "see" 5GHz signal).

On both my main and guest networks (each of which is password protected, the dropdown from the menubar shows the channel being used for 5 GHz but doesn't indicate anything at all about a 2.4 GHz signal.

How can I verify that my Time Capsule really IS broadcasting at both 5 and 2.4 GHz?

Thanks so much,

Jim Robertson

Jan 27, 2019 6:27 PM in response to VikingOSX

The curious thing is that my initial reconfigurations of my Time Capsule DIDN'T include intentionally adding a 5 GHz SSID, but when I looked at the information for the network I'd created, it showed that the 5 GHz network was active (without 5 GHz appended to its name), and the channel information was also in the 5 GHz range. I do now see two separate SSIDs. Is it the case that having configured it this way, the 802.11ac Time Capsule won't talk to 2.4 GHz-only devices unless I manually select the network that shows a 2.4 Ghz channel? Or, will the base station automatically switch between the two bandwidths as needed?

Thanks so much.

Jim Robertson

Jan 27, 2019 7:03 PM in response to JimRobertson

Jim,

I have two network segments here. The 5Ghz and one 2.4 Ghz are on one segment, and the guest 2.4 Ghz is on its own network segment. The radio mode that I have set up for the 5GHz is 802.11a/n - 802.11b/g/n (Automatic). Both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels are configured to Automatically assign their available channels.

The 2.4 Ghz devices will only talk to a 2.4 Ghz SSID that you have configured. My OBI 2182 Google phone, and 2014 MacBook Air are connected to my 5Ghz SSID, and my old iPhone 4s is connected to the non-guest, 2.4 Ghz SSID.

Jan 28, 2019 7:29 AM in response to VikingOSX

I think I'm almost where I'd like to be. "Old" networks I've created, then deleted from my router no longer appear in the Menu Bar dropdown, but despite several attempts at ordering known networks in the positions I'd like them to appear in that menu (using the "Advanced" button in System Preferences>Network>WiFi and clicking the lock icon to permit changes), the available networks still don't display in the order I've selected.

I guess I'm close enough…

😎

How can I clean up my menubar Wi-Fi menu?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.