Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari and rich formatting/keyboard shortcuts in certain web forums

I'm having an issue with keyboard shortcuts on various web forums that allow you to have rich formatting in your posts such as bold or italics.

I used to be able to type like I was using a word processing app where in the middle of typing, hit Command-B or Command-i to toggle bold or italicized words and such. And this still works in other browsers like Firefox. But in Safari now, Command-B does nothing and Command-i now launches my email program and starts a new message, dropping a link from the page I was on into the body of the email. I cannot for the life of me figure out where this came from. I see nothing in Automator or keyboard shortcuts that would do this.

Need help fixing this issue. It's super annoying.

MacBook Pro 13", 10.14

Posted on Jan 28, 2019 6:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2019 6:09 AM

Nevermind. As soon as I typed this I dug through Safari's preferences again and saw an extension I hadn't paid much attention to recently that I installed that prevents sites from disabling autocomplete. It apparently also affects Command key shortcuts. When I disabled the extension, the functionality came back. Sorry to bother y'all.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2019 6:09 AM in response to autigers1970

Nevermind. As soon as I typed this I dug through Safari's preferences again and saw an extension I hadn't paid much attention to recently that I installed that prevents sites from disabling autocomplete. It apparently also affects Command key shortcuts. When I disabled the extension, the functionality came back. Sorry to bother y'all.

Safari and rich formatting/keyboard shortcuts in certain web forums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.