Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari shortcuts for text editing not working

Dear all,

I have a question related to shortcuts. I am using Dropbox Paper on Safari to write some simple documents that need to be shared. I'm on macOS 10.14.4 with latest version of Safari (12.1) and the shortcuts for making the text bold, italic or anything else do not work.

Some are unresponsive, others plainly bring to other functions.

For example, pressing Cmd-I opens Mail and creates a new message with the link to the document I was editing as first line of text (???!). I thought it an issue with DP so I wrote to the assistance who also asked me to try other web apps. I tried to write a post here, also here, I got the same results as with DP. Cmd-I opens mail, Cmd-B doesn't make anything... etc... The Dropbox support asked me to deactivate extensions but that didn’t help. Do you have any idea what is going on here or what I could do to troubleshoot and solve the issue? Thank you

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 4, 2019 5:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2019 7:00 AM

I found the cause for this: the StopTheMadness extension is a great extension that helps user not feeling blocked by websites (such as YouTube preventing picture in picture natively etc...).

It seems that both paper.dropbox.com and discussions.apple.com have incompatibility issues with the feature in this extension that makes website NOT block the Cmd-keys shortcuts.

I created an exception in the extension and now everything works again.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2019 7:00 AM in response to NotationMaster

I found the cause for this: the StopTheMadness extension is a great extension that helps user not feeling blocked by websites (such as YouTube preventing picture in picture natively etc...).

It seems that both paper.dropbox.com and discussions.apple.com have incompatibility issues with the feature in this extension that makes website NOT block the Cmd-keys shortcuts.

I created an exception in the extension and now everything works again.

Apr 4, 2019 5:49 AM in response to NotationMaster

The editor in this community supports ⌘-B, ⌘-I, and ⌘-U for bold, italics, or underline respectively. Repeating these keystrokes on the affected text will toggle the attribute off.

Dropbox paper solution may have been written by those afflicted with Chrome is the only browser disease, or Firefox, and may not have strived for full compatibility with Safari. Wouldn't be the first time. It is Dropbox's responsibility to make their Paper solution compatible with Safari, not Apple's responsibility to make Safari compatible with Dropbox Paper.

Safari shortcuts for text editing not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.