Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable Safari's "Email This Page" shortcut

I have the same issue as this post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251230865

I want to be able to easily italicize something in Safari using the cmd+i shortcut. u works fine for underline, and b works fine for bold, but i opens the mail app.

Following the instructions above I added the Email This Page shortcut to something else, yet still when I click cmd+i it opens the mail app. Interestingly enough, on this Apple Community page it activates italics... but not on other sites I use: dndbeyond or reddit for example, where it still opens up Mail.

Why does it seem to selectively work here, but not elsewhere? And how can I disable this shortcut?

iMac 24″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2021 8:00 AM

Hi kevtron82,

We appreciate you reaching out through Apple Support Communities for help with this keyboard shortcut. We're happy to help in any way we can!

We notice that when setting up the keyboard shortcut in System Preferences, the application is named Safari.app, where is should simply show "Safari."

What happens if you click on the plus sign button to set up a new shortcut, then click on Application: drop menu, and choose Safari again from the list of visible apps, then recreate the shortcut exactly as typed. Ensure there is no extra space after "Email This Page."

If the keyboard can be reconfigured properly at that point, select the Safari.app shortcut, and click the minus sign to delete it.

Let us know if this helps, or if you've got any questions.

Have a great day!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2021 8:00 AM in response to kevtron82

Hi kevtron82,

We appreciate you reaching out through Apple Support Communities for help with this keyboard shortcut. We're happy to help in any way we can!

We notice that when setting up the keyboard shortcut in System Preferences, the application is named Safari.app, where is should simply show "Safari."

What happens if you click on the plus sign button to set up a new shortcut, then click on Application: drop menu, and choose Safari again from the list of visible apps, then recreate the shortcut exactly as typed. Ensure there is no extra space after "Email This Page."

If the keyboard can be reconfigured properly at that point, select the Safari.app shortcut, and click the minus sign to delete it.

Let us know if this helps, or if you've got any questions.

Have a great day!

Aug 31, 2021 6:38 PM in response to kevtron82

I have this same issue. I've tried setting an alternative shortcut using the Keyboard System Preferences, but Cmd-I still opens Mail from Safari. This is really annoying. Please provide a way to disable the Cmd-I "Email This Page" and "Email Link to This Page" shortcuts, ideally so that Cmd-I can be used for Italic text.

(I'm running MacOS Big Sur 11.5.2)

Disable Safari's "Email This Page" shortcut

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.