Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Group contacts problem

Trying to use Mac group contacts on iPhone:

Group Contact works fine from 'on my Mac'. Loaded it to 'iCloud' and 'Google Contacts'. Google Group is empty- no addresses. iCloud Group Contact is populated.

Opened Google email acct on iPhone Group Contact is not there. Looked in Contacts app- no Group Contact.

Must I use an iCloud email address on iPhone for Group Contacts?- didn't try it.

Lost!

iMac 21.5" 4K, 10.14

Posted on Jan 28, 2019 11:54 AM

4 replies

Jan 29, 2019 3:51 PM in response to PaulD_

Thanks Welafever,

I have scanned the 9 page link you suggested and I think I conform to the checklists. Before I do a detailed review, I have questions:

1. Will Group Contacts between devices only work on iCloud mail addresses? e.g. can't use 'Google' email address?
  2. What do 'cards' do on Contact Cards? I have a mix. Some addresses have only one card, e.g. 'iCloud'? Others have 'On my Mac', others have multiple copies of one card, e.g. iCloud.
  3. Why do I have this situation; how best to eliminate it (leave it)?

Thanks for your patience...

Jan 29, 2019 4:02 PM in response to PaulD_

Its not that it will only work with iCloud mail addresses its that iCloud is a central dumping ground for all the contacts so they will correctly sync between the devices. I had to go to iCloud.com and correct the contacts there and make sure all my devices were using the iCloud as the default so there would not be any discrepancies. You have this situation because at one time iCloud was not the default home base for all the contacts on all your devices. If your contacts are correct on iCloud.com, delete them from all your devices and then sync with iCloud so they they repopulate correctly.

Group contacts problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.