Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with iMessage

I recently switched from an iPhone 5s to an X. Every since then when I send a message from my iPad, Imessage will then send all texts from that recipient for my phone number to my Apple ID on my iPad. This happens even when my phone number is selected, all texts from that point go to my iPad unless the thread is completely deleted. I went into settings on my phone and only have my send & receive set to my number and on my iPad I have it set to only my Apple ID. It doesn’t seem to matter if they have my Apple ID and phone number listed under the same contact entry or two separate entries all messages still go to my iPad unless the thread is deleted. It never did this before I got the X. Is there a way to stop this from happening? I don’t always have my iPad with me and I’ve missed text messages.

iPad Pro, 12

Posted on Jan 29, 2019 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2019 11:43 AM

Log out of iMessage on all of your devices. Turn them off and turn them back on again (probably not necessary but, well, why not). Log back into iMessage on your phone. Wait until it is completely activated. Then, log back into iMessage on your other devices. Adjust your settings as desired.

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 29, 2019 2:06 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Okay, so I did that. My friend’s text are still going to my iPad even though she’s clicking on my phone number if I originate the text from the iPad but if I switch back to my phone they are back on the phone. Why is it I can switch between devices but she can’t? I’m pretty sure that before the new phones iMessage would start two separate threads, not combine them all in the same one.

Problems with iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.