Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Pages app available for 10.11

Rebuilding a 2008 MBP and need Pages app. Everything tells me it is not available for this version.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 29, 2019 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2019 9:26 AM

Bob,

Apple does not keep past versions of full Pages, Numbers, or Keynote applications available for download. It does keep the current versions of these applications in the Mac App Store, and presently, one must have High Sierra 10.13 or later to install them. There is no workaround.

Although Apple discontinued the retail iWork '09 DVD, and Mac App Store purchases of these individual applications in Fall 2013, the DVD is still available through Amazon/Ebay resellers. Once you get that retail DVD installed, you can then download the Apple iWork 9.3 Update to bring the respective DVD applications to their last (12/2012) versions. These applications cannot directly open documents created by Pages, Numbers, or Keynote released after Oct. 2013. Entirely different document architecture. When I was running El Capitan, Pages '09 v4.3 worked just fine.

Resist any tendency to download any iWork '09 trial software from various download sites, because it will time out on you, and Apple's activation servers have not existed for over five years. You will be left with junk.

If you don't have legacy Pages, Numbers, and Keynote documents, it might be a good habit to avoid before you start. There is the free and frequently updated LibreOffice Suite which is purposely an MS Office replacement solution. Documentation was all written in LibreOffice Writer.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2019 9:26 AM in response to Bob Allison

Bob,

Apple does not keep past versions of full Pages, Numbers, or Keynote applications available for download. It does keep the current versions of these applications in the Mac App Store, and presently, one must have High Sierra 10.13 or later to install them. There is no workaround.

Although Apple discontinued the retail iWork '09 DVD, and Mac App Store purchases of these individual applications in Fall 2013, the DVD is still available through Amazon/Ebay resellers. Once you get that retail DVD installed, you can then download the Apple iWork 9.3 Update to bring the respective DVD applications to their last (12/2012) versions. These applications cannot directly open documents created by Pages, Numbers, or Keynote released after Oct. 2013. Entirely different document architecture. When I was running El Capitan, Pages '09 v4.3 worked just fine.

Resist any tendency to download any iWork '09 trial software from various download sites, because it will time out on you, and Apple's activation servers have not existed for over five years. You will be left with junk.

If you don't have legacy Pages, Numbers, and Keynote documents, it might be a good habit to avoid before you start. There is the free and frequently updated LibreOffice Suite which is purposely an MS Office replacement solution. Documentation was all written in LibreOffice Writer.

Feb 2, 2019 4:02 PM in response to badger142

I just rebuilt my early 08 MBP and this is where I am at:

If you have an installed version of Pages '09 (version 4.3 Dec. 2012 is the latest) somewhere

or that you can get from a trusted friend (I do not know it that is strictly legal)

you can drag/copy it over and it is widely reported it will run.

• But it will not be a fresh install and I wonder if there is the chance that you will transfer

old bagage (preferences, settings, or even corruption) with it.

• I have a copy on another 10.8.5 partition and the icon shows up as runable when I am booted

from my 10.11.6 partition. I have not tried it - I am waiting for a retail set to do a fresh install.

Pages versions 5.x are reported to also work with 10.11, but not version 6.0 or higher.

If you have a copy of that somewhere you could copy that over.

But, I have seen people complain version 5 is not as fully featured as 4.3.

It has bees said

If you have or can get a retail disk set of '09 it will install and then you can apply an update to it to get it up to 4.3.

Don't get any download file except from Apple - you don't know if it is safe.

I have an '08 retail disk set and tried it - it will not run - just ejects from the drive.

iWork ’09 Update 9.3 (Dec 2012)

Pages 4.3

Numbers 2.3

Keynote 5.3

About 9.3 Update: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202629

Download 9.3 Update: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1563?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I definitely suggest you download the updater and save it somewhere

because you never know when it may disappear from the internet.

I also suggest you make a copy of it and run the copy if you ever need to.

• Some installers downloaded from Apple delete themselves after they run

(El Capitan self-deletes) and you don't want to chance loosing your only copy.

You can find iWork '09 retail disks sets on eBay from $5.00 to $$$$.

I could not find any on Amazon but you can look.

You are looking for MB942Z/A - any version but preferably version 9.xx to possible save a step.

Some are even in a sealed box and some are version 9..0.3 so you Might not need to update.

Some are the install disks that came with purchased computers.

• Those are not retail versions so your mileage may vary with those.

There is another reported work-a-round at:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/294743/get-numbers-pages-et-al-on-macos-10-11-el-capitan

but that is old and might not work any longer.

The work-a-round to get a trial version, install, quit,

then go to the app store to update no longer works according to what I find.

There is another work-a-round to go to anothr Mac (10.12 and up) that has newer versions

or download the newer versions there using the Apple ID of that machines owner,

then go back yo your machine, sign in with the other Apple ID, and it will let you

download an older rev. But It is reported that does not work any longer either.

Additional information I have found:

You cannot use the latest versions of built in applications like Mail and iCal that come with the El Capitan install on prior os versions and you will have to use those and upgrade your mail etc. to run on El Capitan.

You cannot get GarageBand or iMovie off the App Store any more - they only have versions for 10.12 and up.

You cannot get other parts of iLife (iPhoto, iDVD, or iWeb, ...) there anymore - they are off the App Store completely.

But you can get many of them at the Apple Support site.

*** Get them, download, and save them!!

Just in case you need/want them later and Apple removes them someday soon.

I do not know what the latest iLife that works with El Capitan is.

But here is the list I have compiled, copied from my notes file waiting to be tried.

Downloads on the Apple Support site - as of Feb. 02, 2019

Search for what you need.

iMovie HD: 6.0.2 Combo https://support.apple.com/kb/DL363?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

iMovie: 9.0.9 https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1574?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

iPhoto: 9.4.3 https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1650?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

iDVD: 7.1.2 https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1414?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

iWeb: 3.0.4 https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1413?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

iGarageBand: - Not Found

NOTE: There are many things there but when you look they are updates, not full installs.

Go follow: 10.6.8 not the only compatible system wit… - Apple Community

It is about upgrading to El Capitan

Also: Update Information for El Capitan - one of a set of tips by A. Brody

Feb 3, 2019 1:56 AM in response to Bob Allison

Lots of cross-posting going on, Bob.

There were two sources of iWork '09 applications available:

1. Retail iWork '09 DVD
    1. Installs its dependent Frameworks into System locations
    2. Not portable to other Mac operating systems without DVD reinstallation
    3. Apple prior to Oct. 2013, and Amazon/Ebay resellers afterward
    4. Avoid the trial iWork '09 DVD, and any iWork '09 downloads as they will be trial software too. These will time out and Apple activation servers are long gone
  2. Retail, individual iWork '09 application purchases from Mac App Store (prior to Oct. 2013)
    1. Dependent Frameworks are within the application bundle
    2. Portable to other Mac operating systems.
    3. No longer available from Apple or legally any other source

If you right-click on an iWork '09 application, and select Show Package Contents : Contents, the individual purchased iWork '09 applications will have a Framework folder within the application bundle, and the iWork '09 DVD applications will not.

As I have mentioned previously, Apple does not keep past, full installers for download of the iWork '09, or more recent applications.

Feb 2, 2019 6:47 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Really? There must be a way somewhere/somehow.

If what you say is true, then now that I updated my old early 08 MB Pro

to 10.11 I can no longer do anything with it except email, browse the web, and Facebook.

It becomes a brick if I can't do work on it and I was better off running the prior 10.8.5 I had on it.

It is not available via a standard process in the App Store.

But there must be a way if you know the link.

Can anyone say more?

Feb 3, 2019 2:12 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks, that info will be a great help.

I do not know where my backup copies of iWork '09 came from.

I can find an '08 cd but not an '09 dvd. And they do not show up under my Apple id.

But now I know how to tell.

I looked and each of them have a contents/frameworks folder with a single item,

an alias to another frameworks file inside contents/XPCServices.

So now I can assume I have or had an '09 CD.

But I still want to get new copies in case of corruption from the bad sectors I had on my disk.

Your caveat about not updating any app store downloads because they will break

is a very important piece of info for anyone to know,

and it is something I had not seen before. - Thanks for that.

As for cross posting, I have tried (except for answering a question on the other post,

to keep my comments about updating to El Capitan in that thread

and comments to iWork issues because of it here.

But imho it is important to have a warning in the El Capitan thread about

iWork issues that will, or may, crop up so people updating do not get caught off guard.

But I had not been on discussion in many years and maybe do not know current practices.

Is Pages app available for 10.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.