Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.6.8 not the only compatible system with App Store to El Capitan update?

On https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250117014

it appears my referenced link to

https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?mt=12

was able to successfully install on a 10.8.5 system. With one caveat, iWork Apps may have failed to work.

Has anyone succeeded in getting the iTunes store current copy of El Capitan to run on something newer than 10.6.8? Specs say it only should work with 10.6.8.

Posted on Feb 2, 2019 1:41 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Feb 2, 2019 2:05 PM in response to Kappy

Let me clarify

Allows any 10.6.8 user to use the App Store to upgrade directly to El Capitan without taking any intermediate steps other than backing up.

Alas this upgrade is not available according to specs for people running 10.7.x, 10.8.x, 10.9.x, 10.10.x and has not been available since the release of Sierra. Which means for those users, if they want to go to the next step, they need to jump to 10.12 if they are going any higher, and did not download any intermediate upgrades before.

What my question is, in spite of the link:

which says for 10.6.8, has anyone succeeded using the same link on 10.7.x through 10.10.x after the release of 10.12 came out,

and gotten a version of iWork to work after going to El Capitan.

Bob Allison's iWork messed up after going to El Capitan from 10.8.5.

Feb 2, 2019 4:07 PM in response to a brody

Here is a re-post of what I had so it will be in this one place:

In response to your question the El Capitan System (10.11) requirements for upgrade post -

I can verify it will install 10.11 on something newer than 10.6.8 .

I just reinitialized my disk on my MBP early '08, installed a clean 10.8.5 using a restore partition I had on a usb drive

then I downloaded the El Capitan install file and upgraded to El Capitan from there.

It took almost an hour to download and 45 min. to install.

OS works fine - but I have issues installing my applications (Pages, Numbers, etc.) now.

Feb 2, 2019 4:22 PM in response to Kappy

But it is a technical issue for anyine who has a machine that will not support the MacOS 10.12, .13, ...

I have such a machine, and another person today on the forum is in the same boat and doing the same thing.

Anyone with 10.7.x, 10.8.x, 10.9.x, or 10.10.x has no way to upgrade to El Capitan via the app store.

And I was left with an OS hat will not run the latest Firefox, ect. revs and is less secure than I wanted.

I, and others with those revs, want a way to get to 10.11 or be force to buy new hardware to replace a machine that is runninf fine - except for Apple's forced obsolesce.

The 10.11.6 install file is advertised to be to upgrade for 10.6.8

This leaves everyone I mentioned in the lurch.

My experience shows that I and all those "in-betweeners" can upgrade.

At least until the install file is removed from the support site.

BTW - the link I posted shows Badger142 the answer to his question and gives all I have found so far about getting the iWork applications upgraded.

Feb 3, 2019 1:41 AM in response to Bob Allison

Bob,

If your iWork '09 applications were originally from the retail iWork '09 DVD, then you need to reinstall from that DVD. Then, apply the Apple iWork '09 Update to get those iWork '09 applications to their last (12/2012) versions. If your iWork '09 applications were individual purchases from the Mac App Store prior to Fall 2013, then do not apply that iWork '09 Update or you will destroy those particular applications.

The IWork '09 DVD installs dependent Framework components for the iWork '09 applications in System locations and these are not put back via a Time Machine restore.

Feb 2, 2019 2:35 PM in response to a brody

I"m afraid that the page in the App Store doesn't say anything about except El Capitan requires 10.6.8 or later. As far as I am aware Apple does not allow any upgrade from 10.7 and later except to the current release version - Mojave 10.14.3. I believe this has prevailed since 10.7 or 10.8. It does not apply to Snow Leopard because everyone running Snow Leopard can upgrade either to the last compatible version with the user's hardware or to Mojave if supported by the hardware. Not sure there are any in this latter group. 😀

This same policy has also prevailed for iWork since they started distributing it via the App Store. Apple is following a strategy of forced obsolescence. This drives higher sales while continuing the old Jobs strategy of frequently upgrading the OS. This has all started with the iPhone. Jobs may have learned this from when GM competed with the Ford Model T. People want everything new, and they want it sooner rather than later. GM started selling different colored cars because Ford's cars were only one color - black. GM soon surpassed Ford and Americans never went back.

Most all people like the GM way of things except for a few penny=pinchers and young iPhone lovers who can't afford new technology every six months.

Anyway, I don't think this is desired on the forums since it isn't really a technical problem; and, we shouldn't carry on plain conversation.

Feb 2, 2019 2:44 PM in response to Kappy

I'm not going to try to guess policy or not. I do remember the statement about requirements being 10.6.8. Nothing about "or later." And the fact remains Bob Allison got halfway there, only to be surprised by the behavior of iWork.

The "latest and greatest" desires of people certainly has the downside of unsupported software, software that no longer has a publisher but serves a unique purpose, and people who simply can't handle all the new "bells and whistles." Knowing if it is remotely possible that this solution might work for people without doing anything sinister, and the caveats are all that I am concerned about.

Feb 2, 2019 4:27 PM in response to Kappy

One caveat I stumbled on when doing an upgrade using the El Capitan 10.11.6 install file is:

The install file deletes itself when it finishes running.

So I made a copy and tucked it away for any possible future needs in case it is removed from the internet in the future.

I highly recommend anyone with a machine tat can run OS X El Capitan but not MacOS revisions do the same asap.

Feb 2, 2019 8:29 PM in response to a brody

I guess I wasn't clear.

I have the latest '09 iWork apps on a backup and on a clone of my old 10.8.5 disk.

After making the backup and clone of my old disk I reinitialized and ran low level tests because I had disk corruption.

I mapped out the bad sectors and re-partitioned and formatted the drive using my usb stick with Drive Genius.

I opened the laptop to clean out all the dust, clean the fans and connectors, ...

I then used my 10.8.5 restore usb stick to to install a clean new 10.8.5 on two partitions on the internal disk --

one small for emergencies and being able to run utilities if there are problems,

and one large partition for installiong a new os.

I downloaded the 10.11.6 install file, made a backup copy of it and tucked it away, then upgraded the main partition from 10.8.5 to El Capitan 10.11.6.

So now I "could" copy my old iWork apps to the new partition.

When I mount the backup - the iWork application icons show without the 'X' indicating they 'should' run under 10.11.6.

But I do not want to do that in case there is corruption in my copies from my disk errors.

I will do file copies (not bit copies) of my data but want to install new clean versions of all the applications.

After all this work I want everything to be as pristine as possible.

This puts me in the same predicament as anyone who upgrades to El Capitan and does not have a copy of the iWork applications. --- How can you install iWork on El Capitan?

I have downloaded the iWork 9.3 update file and saved it away.

I have purchased a sealed in-box retail iWork '09 ver.9.0.3 DVD and will continue when it arrives next week.

I tied my old iWork '08 CD but it would not install and just ejected when I put it in.

It will still leave me two versions down with the '09 versions.

There are 2 newer versions that will run under El Capitan --

iWork 2013 with Pages 5.9 and Numbers 3.0 has OS X 10.9 minimum requirement, and

iWork 2014 with Pages 5.5.1 and Numbers 3..5 has OS X 10.10 minimum requirement, BUT

those were distributed in the App Store so they are unobtainable.

But, from everything I have read the '09 versions are better, more full functional, than the newer ones that were made compatible with the iOS versions. So I guess I will be happy at '09.

Meanwhile I have mounted my backup 10.8.5 disk and am running as if it was the old 10.8.5 machine.

10.6.8 not the only compatible system with App Store to El Capitan update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.