Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud email with Microsoft Outlook

I have 2 iCloud email accounts and both worked perfectly with MS Outlook for years and I loved the interoperability. However, one day one of the accounts was not recognized by the iCloud server and I have not been able to reestablish the account. The iCloud IMAP server does not recognize the settings provided by Apple in spite of the fact that it still works for the other iCloud email account.

Windows, 10

Posted on Jan 30, 2019 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2019 1:18 PM

Hi MiniTech15,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I see you're having some issues using an iCloud account with Outlook.

What's the exact error message you're seeing, including any possible numeric codes? Knowing this may help identify the best steps to resolve this.

Which Windows version are you using?

Do you use two-factor authentication with this particular account? If you do, you might need to set up an app-specific password for the account: Using app-specific passwords.

Are you still able to send and receive mail from this account on other devices, or by using the iCloud website? This would be a great test to narrow things down: iCloud: Write and send email in iCloud Mail.

I hope this helps get you started.

Take care.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2019 1:18 PM in response to MiniTech15

Hi MiniTech15,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I see you're having some issues using an iCloud account with Outlook.

What's the exact error message you're seeing, including any possible numeric codes? Knowing this may help identify the best steps to resolve this.

Which Windows version are you using?

Do you use two-factor authentication with this particular account? If you do, you might need to set up an app-specific password for the account: Using app-specific passwords.

Are you still able to send and receive mail from this account on other devices, or by using the iCloud website? This would be a great test to narrow things down: iCloud: Write and send email in iCloud Mail.

I hope this helps get you started.

Take care.

Jan 31, 2019 4:31 PM in response to MiniTech15

Hi MiniTech15,

We appreciate the quick follow-up, and thanks for those details! Have you tried to revoke the app-specific password for this account and create a new one? The fact that you receive a password error using Outlook, but not when you use iOS devices or iCloud.com, suggests this may help you clear up the issue. Here's how, from the article titled Using app-specific passwords.

How to manage app-specific passwords

You can have up to 25 active app-specific passwords at any given time. If you need to, you can revoke passwords individually or all at once.

Sign in to your Apple ID account page.

In the Security section, click Edit.

In the App Specific Passwords section, click View History.

Click next to a password you want to delete, or Revoke All.

After you revoke a password, the app using that password will be signed out of your account until you generate a new password and sign in again.

Cheers!

Feb 3, 2019 6:35 AM in response to MiniTech15

Hello MiniTech15,

Thank you for the reply. Have you tried signing out and back in to iCloud, and then testing? This is recommended in the "Mail" section: Get help using Outlook with iCloud for Windows.

If you find the issue persists, I recommend getting in contact with Apple directly to look in to this further: Contact Apple Support

Have a great weekend.

Jan 31, 2019 3:15 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your reply! Here is the additional information:

1) The error message is "We couldn't log on to the incoming (IMAP) server. Please check your email address and password and try again." I checked, retried, checked, retried...many times!

2) I am using Outlook 2016 which is part of my Microsoft Office 365 subscription.

3) Yes, I do use 2 factor authentication and have been using an app-specific password with my attempts to set up my 2nd iCloud email account. This app-specific password is different from the original one and the one used for the working iCloud email account.

4) Yes, I am still able to send and receive with this account on other devices (my iPad and iPhone) and through iCloud.com's iCloud mail.

Several additional things which may or may not help:

1) I set up everything originally through iCloud for Windows.

2) The problem iCloud email account is my iCloud alias account.

Thank you!

iCloud email with Microsoft Outlook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.