Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet keeps dropping every few minutes without cause

Alright, so I've had this MacBook Air since mid 2012 and it has worked splendidly up until a few months ago, when it's internet started to drop every few minutes, hence the title. This only seems to happen on my Mac, and none of my other devices (i.e. iPhone, Windows Laptop, Mac Mini) show this affliction. It also seems to happen only on my home network.

So first I tried the obvious: I restarted my WiFi router and my Mac, but to no avail. I then tried factory resetting my WiFi router and still the problem persisted. I tried clearing the DNS cache, resetting the WiFi configuration, forgetting the network, editing the power saving settings and still nothing.

So I decided that maybe it was time to do a fresh install of Mojave, and so I reinstalled using an up-to-date Bootable USB Mojave Installer (10.14.3), after erasing Macintosh HD.

Post installation, I completed all the setup, skipping the WiFi step and iCloud setup step. After a few minutes, the computer booted up into a fresh, up to date Mojave... and promptly automatically connected to my home network, despite me not having inputted any connection password or even selecting it. The issue still persisted, with the internet only holding for a few minutes at a time. And only on the home network.

I am thinking of taking my Mac into the Genius bar, but was hoping that there was something that could make sense of this confusion.

Anything would be a help, thanks in advance.

MacBook Air 13", 10.14

Posted on Jan 30, 2019 11:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2019 8:41 AM

Hi, reallynotduck !

Have you tried reading Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference? It stands to reason if this is only happening within range of your home wifi, perhaps something is interfering with your wi-fi network and not your Mac, per se.

Good luck !

Similar questions

8 replies

Feb 3, 2019 4:29 PM in response to reallynotduck

Hi guys, this is DEFINITELY a mojave issue. I have spent over a week on the phone and in the store with the "genius" team and unfortunately there is no fix. I did a lot of all the things on these blogs. I lost a lot of time desperately working to fix it. It's messed up! Apple knows. The only thing that worked for me is that I had a back up of an earlier mojave which i reverted to and at least now i have connectivity. Other things are still not working correctly.

Feb 4, 2019 2:29 PM in response to Alex Bedros

No, it is not a Mojave issue.

Simple logic proves it - if you are correct just about the entire installed base of Mojave users would be complaining instead of a very small sub-set. It has been well established in these forums - and elsewhere - the leading cause of connectivity issues is interference coming from unshielded or poorly shielded cabling leaking EM energy in the 2.4 GHz frequency.

If you are correct, then please explain why I do not have the issue on any Mac I have running Mojave.

Feb 4, 2019 5:17 PM in response to Buster_From_Oak_Park

Your tone is seriously argumentative and I don’t appreciate it. Simple logic here is that I didn’t have a problem ever until I installed Mojave. So I’m thankful that it’s not happening to you but I’d appreciate it if you have nothing constructive to say to just not say anything. Some of us a very frustrated with this Mojave issue and you’re ******* on a wound.

Feb 4, 2019 6:09 PM in response to Buster_From_Oak_Park

So what happened in the end: I took my computer to the Genius Bar, and they couldn't find any issues with the Mac in regards to hardware or software. They cleaned and wiped the network card, just to be sure, but told me it was likely as you said, wireless interference.

I tried moving my Mac around the house, and I couldn't replicate the issue. Huh. I then tried using a different Mac in the same spot on my desk, and managed to replicate the issue.

So it turns out that there is a very small localised blackspot on my desk, that doesn't effect computers to the very left or very right of it. I ended up fixing the issue by moving some power cables away from the desk and relocating my WiFi extender to a higher position.

Interesting that this "deadzone" on my desk was entirely contained within a small 50cm by 50cm square only on my desk. But thanks for the help and link, I've marked this as the solution to the issue!

Internet keeps dropping every few minutes without cause

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.