Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 black screen after drivers installed

Please help. I have tried installing windows 10 multiple times (october edition) and it booted up fine on my macbook pro 2012 retina 15inch base model. When I install bootcamp, I get Nvidia 650M gpu drivers. When I reboot with these gpu drivers installed, I receive a blackscreen on boot. I know its due to the fact its the GPU drivers because I Have already installed windows 10 multiple times. What can I do?

I have used device manager to find latest drivers, I have installed nvidia geforce experience and installed drivers via that, but still black screen.

To summarise:

Computer: Macbook Pro retina mid 2012 base model.

Issues: GPU driver issues.

Problems: GPU Driver problems and Audio output problems.

To install windows, I made a windows bootable installer USB disk, boot into the USB disk, format an ExFAT partition as NTFS, install windows. Setup windows, etc. Install bootcamp.

My other issue is that audio does not output either.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Feb 2, 2019 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2019 12:39 PM

Your BC Assistant should have three checkboxes.

• Create + Download build a Windows Installer. You will need a USB2 Flash drive of 8+GB. This will be formatted/erased by BCA.
  • Install will partition your disk and boot from the USB2 Flash drive. Do not use Alt/Option to interrupt the flow.

Try it and post any error messages you see.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2019 12:39 PM in response to Raspberry_Tech

Your BC Assistant should have three checkboxes.

• Create + Download build a Windows Installer. You will need a USB2 Flash drive of 8+GB. This will be formatted/erased by BCA.
  • Install will partition your disk and boot from the USB2 Flash drive. Do not use Alt/Option to interrupt the flow.

Try it and post any error messages you see.

Feb 5, 2019 5:15 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks! Basically what I did was:

1. Action menu --> download latest support software
  2. Download the software to a USB
  3. Use another USB drive and create a bootable USB (tick boxes 1 and 3)
  4. Unplug first USB (containing windows support software)
  5. KEEP bootable usb in computer, enter password into bootcamp when prompted, computer restarts.
  6. Run through windows installer, install windows to the drive named "BOOTCAMP"
  7. After installer finishes, leave USB plugged in.
  8. Windows starts up, enter password etc.
  9. Unplug second usb, plug first USB in and run the bootcamp software.
  10. Reboot, Install geforce experience from web.
  11. Download latest drivers.

Hope this helps someone :)

Feb 2, 2019 7:16 AM in response to Raspberry_Tech

To install windows, I made a windows bootable installer USB disk, boot into the USB disk, format an ExFAT partition as NTFS, install windows. Setup windows, etc. Install bootcamp.

On a 2012 model, you should let BCA install Windows. It looks like you have installed Windows using EFI, which is not valid on a 2012 model.

My other issue is that audio does not output either.

Audio on 2012 Macs only works correctly if the Windows installation is a MBR/BIOS installation, not a GPT/EFI installation.

Feb 2, 2019 7:57 AM in response to Loner T

BCA? Boot camp? Could you tell me the exact steps to install windows? The reason why I installed it via a USB drive is because when I originally tried installing the support files onto a USB (via bootcamp) it always froze and said i did not have enough space on my disk drive even though it is 64GB. Thats why I went to the action menu and installed bootcamp drivers.

Windows 10 black screen after drivers installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.