Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie - exported video freezes at the end!

Okay, so I'm having this weird issue. It seems to have started out of nowhere (not following an update or something I'm doing differently). When I view my movie in the editor, everything looks fine. However, when I export it, it always freezes for the last few seconds.

I end the video with a fade to black transition, and that has never been a problem until recently. Now it freezes just before the fade would normally happen - the audio continues, but any visuals freeze. I tried using a cross dissolve to a black image, which looks the same as a fade, but that freezes as well.

Any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it? It's driving me crazy and it's making me unable to create my videos. Any help would be much appreciated!

Mac mini, 10.14

Posted on Feb 2, 2019 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2019 8:06 PM

It might be a corrupt preference. Try restarting your computer and opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the freezing issue is resolved.

You can also try putting your media into a newly created project and see if that cures it.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2019 8:06 PM in response to lauras7

It might be a corrupt preference. Try restarting your computer and opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the freezing issue is resolved.

You can also try putting your media into a newly created project and see if that cures it.

-- Rich

Feb 3, 2019 4:42 AM in response to Rich839

I tried the delete preferences and it seems to have worked! However, as the preferences are reset, it now exports the video to somewhere different to where I had been doing it before. If I change that location back to what it was, is the problem likely to come back or should this be fixed now?

Thank you so much for you help! :)

iMovie - exported video freezes at the end!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.