Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10 clips freeze then jumps to the next clip quickly

I need help with iMovie. I have been working on a video for almost 2 months now and everything has been working fine. I’ve finally done and ready to finalize but I have been having issues with some of clips not transitioning smoothly. The clips and transitions seems to be freezing. The music continues but doesn’t transition smoothly. There’s a bit of a lag. I started to save the file but I had to stop it in the middle of it. I’m wondering if that could have something to do with the issue I’m having now. Maybe some of the clips are corrupted, the video has been working fine until I did that.

Can someone help me. Why are some of the clips lagging and freezing?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 24, 2019 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2019 10:43 PM

It might be a corrupt preference. The first thing to try is restarting your computer and opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your project. Now see if the issue is resolved.

If still no luck, try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit Copy, of the media in your project and then Edit/Paste it into a newly created project. See if that solves it.

-- Rich

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2019 10:43 PM in response to franca63

It might be a corrupt preference. The first thing to try is restarting your computer and opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your project. Now see if the issue is resolved.

If still no luck, try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit Copy, of the media in your project and then Edit/Paste it into a newly created project. See if that solves it.

-- Rich

Feb 25, 2019 7:32 AM in response to Rich839

Thank you for the response. I did try the first option and deleted the preference but iMovie didn’t reopen I had to click on iMovie a second time to open but at first I couldn’t find my project it disappeared for some reason but I did find it eventually. Do you know why that was? In any event it still freezes up.

i think I will try your second option by copying and paste into a new project. hope this fixes it I spent a lot of time on this project.

Do you you know how it got corrupted? Could it be that I started to finalize my project. I clicked on share and file save to my desktop, but a bit into the process I stopped it because I forgot to add a clip to the project. I’m thinking that maybe it corrupted the file.

Feb 25, 2019 9:45 AM in response to franca63

Try sharing out again. The freezing issue might only be present during editing. Your shared out project might play just fine. If the problem persists after share-out, then you can try copying the media into a newly created project as described in my earlier post.

iMovie should open in a new library after you follow the delete preferences procedure. I don't know why that didn't happen when you tried. You might want to try it again just to make sure that the preferences actually were deleted. The new library that opens is a blank one with no projects in it. So you need to reopen your old library to find your project.

Preferences get randomly corrupted for a number of mysterious reasons. I doubt that cancelling your share-out in mid process would cause the corruption. iMovie allows that procedure.

-- Rich

iMovie 10 clips freeze then jumps to the next clip quickly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.