Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have ordered a new MacBook Air for my wife and she shares her info on my 2010 iMac how do I move all her info seamslessly to her new computer

How do I transfer her info from a user account on my old iMac to her new MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 3, 2019 3:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2019 4:24 AM

You can backup users settings and all to iCloud and restore to new Mac. When setting up new user just enter her Apple user ID and it will ask to download profile/settings. She must have her own Apple account for this to happen and you must be backing up all the stuff you want moved. Hope this helps, should get you started at least.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2019 4:24 AM in response to Zora63

You can backup users settings and all to iCloud and restore to new Mac. When setting up new user just enter her Apple user ID and it will ask to download profile/settings. She must have her own Apple account for this to happen and you must be backing up all the stuff you want moved. Hope this helps, should get you started at least.

Feb 4, 2019 7:49 AM in response to Zora63

The easiest way for your wife to move into her new computer using the account that is on your iMac is this: If you haven't been using TimeMachine to back up your iMac now is the time to purchase an external hard drive (a 1 TB drive will do). See this Apple article to set up the drive. It doesn't matter which account you log into, TM will back up the entire computer.

Once TM has finished, connect it to her new computer. If you are starting the new computer for the first time, go thru the startup and login process until you are asked if you want to transfer data to the computer. Yes you do. You want to use TimeMachine. You'll see a list of accounts you can transfer. Choose hers. You'll also see the application folder. I recommend that you do not select it. Manually download/install applications to her computer. If you've already set up her computer look for the Migration Assistant program in the Utilities folder of the Applications folder. You'll go thru the same steps as mentioned above. Choose her account but not Applications.

Using the TimeMachine backup is much easier and reliable than trying to set up a computer to computer transfer. This is something I tested years ago and I've subsequently tested it with each new OS upgrade and with newer hardware.

Your wife has an AppleID and password she used to set up iCloud on your iMac. She'll use that same AppleID and password to set up iCloud on her new computer. This will sync her mail and other iCloud data to her new computer.

Feb 3, 2019 8:51 AM in response to babowa

This is very helpfull however none of the examples are clear if you are using a user account on an iMac belonging to someone else. For example my wife is using a user account on my iMac so I am not really clear if this will show up on the example you gave me. I will have to wait and see when I get the MacBook Air and try it out and will probably end up phoning the helpline for assistance, so I must make sure that I have plenty of time to do the transfer. But if it shows up as per your example, it looks pretty clear. Thank you babowa

Feb 7, 2019 9:27 AM in response to dwb

Thanks dwb for that, Sorry I did not respond earlier, but was working and not able to respond. As soon as her MacBook Air arrives, I will do as you suggested, because Yes, I am in fact using TM on my iMac, I did not realize it saves the whole Mac, so this is working out beneficial on that point too.

Thanks

Have ordered a new MacBook Air for my wife and she shares her info on my 2010 iMac how do I move all her info seamslessly to her new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.