Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iMac to wife and migrating her data from an even older MacBookPro

I just purchased a 2021 iMac and then migrated all of my data from my mid-2011 iMac (running High Sierra). Both iMacs are on my iCloud account (not to mention my iPhone and old MacBook Air), so (as I've discovered) any change on one is mirrored on the others. I now want to give the 2011 iMac to my wife who is currently using a mid-2008 MacBookPro (running Yosemite). The admin account on the MacBook is in my name because I set it up when we first bought it. My question is how do I give the old iMac to my wife and migrate her data from the MacBook without messing things up?

I have some ideas, but not being at all tech savvy I'm at loose ends. Since there's plenty of room (431 GB) on the old iMac's hard drive for her data and mine, could I simply change the admin on the MacBook, add my wife as a user on the old iMac, and then migrate her data? Or should I wipe the old iMac clean, make her the new admin on both computers, and then proceed with the migration? If this would be best, how would I do ensure that wiping the old iMac clean wouldn't affect the new iMac?

Sorry for the confusion. The simplest solution, of course, would be to buy a new mac for my wife, but I'll have to save up for that!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 3, 2022 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2022 4:39 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Community!

I'd choose the erase and reinstall option. It'll install a fresh copy of macOS just for her and can avoid problems.

Before erasing, make sure any data you need to save is backed up, as all data will be destroyed. Next, shut down your Mac, then startup into Recovery Mode (Command-R) by immediately pressing and holding those keys at startup. Then, Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support. When erasing your Mac, select "View" > "Show All Devices" in Disk Utility and erase the main drive. Its name will end in "Media". Make sure this information matches:

Name: Macintosh HD

Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Scheme: GUID

After erasing your startup disk, reinstall macOS: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support.

After erasing your Mac and reinstalling macOS, you will be presented with a Setup Assistant. Set up your Mac again, and restore from her Time Machine backup: Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support. You should not use Wi-Fi or other methods as they often fail. If you do not have a Time Machine backup of the MacBook, you should create one on your old Mac so it can be restored to the new Mac. To start, you need an external hard drive. Here’s an excellent one sold by Apple: LaCie 2TB Mobile Drive External Hard Drive USB-C - Apple. You will also need this cable for your older non-USB-C Macs.

Another option other than Time Machine is to simply use iCloud on both Macs to sync data:

This article may also help: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support.

Jack

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2022 4:39 PM in response to thaxted

Welcome to Apple Support Community!

I'd choose the erase and reinstall option. It'll install a fresh copy of macOS just for her and can avoid problems.

Before erasing, make sure any data you need to save is backed up, as all data will be destroyed. Next, shut down your Mac, then startup into Recovery Mode (Command-R) by immediately pressing and holding those keys at startup. Then, Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support. When erasing your Mac, select "View" > "Show All Devices" in Disk Utility and erase the main drive. Its name will end in "Media". Make sure this information matches:

Name: Macintosh HD

Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Scheme: GUID

After erasing your startup disk, reinstall macOS: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support.

After erasing your Mac and reinstalling macOS, you will be presented with a Setup Assistant. Set up your Mac again, and restore from her Time Machine backup: Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support. You should not use Wi-Fi or other methods as they often fail. If you do not have a Time Machine backup of the MacBook, you should create one on your old Mac so it can be restored to the new Mac. To start, you need an external hard drive. Here’s an excellent one sold by Apple: LaCie 2TB Mobile Drive External Hard Drive USB-C - Apple. You will also need this cable for your older non-USB-C Macs.

Another option other than Time Machine is to simply use iCloud on both Macs to sync data:

This article may also help: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support.

Jack

Old iMac to wife and migrating her data from an even older MacBookPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.