Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating from one Mac to another

My wife got a good deal on a 16” MB Pro and when it arrives, I plan to take over her old, mid-2012 Retina MB Pro with a 15” screen, and give my 2013, MB Pro with a 13” screen to my daughter.

I know. My MB Pro is a year newer than my wife’s MB Pro, but I lust after that huge 15” Retina display.

My MB Pro has an SSD too small to contain all the data on my main computer, a 27” 2015 iMac, and so I don’t bother to back up that MB Pro.

Both these computers are running the latest iteration of Mojave.

Question is: what is the series of steps I should go through in order to move the data from my MB Pro to my wife’s MB Pro once I get that computer from her?

Research indicates that before I take over her MB Pro, she should:

Sign out of iTunes

Sign out of iCloud

Sign out of iMessage

Unpair any Bluetooth devices

To avoid all the User Account perils, would it be best to boot into recovery mode, erase the HD, then reinstall Mojave then migrate the data from my old MB Pro using WiFi? I can’t use Catalina because it prevents me from using the projector I use to teach my Seniors’ iPhone class.

Or, are there better ways to accomplish this?

Many thanks,

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Similar questions

1 reply

Migrating from one Mac to another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.