Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod pausing AirPlay source when app is minimized or phone locked

I use AirPlay to cast music from the SoundCloud and Spotify apps to the HomePod, on an iPhone X.

Music begins playing normally, but when the app is minimized by switching to another app via the swipe-up gesture, or when the phone is locked, the stream is immediately paused.

How can I allow the stream to continue playing?

(Note: There's a similar issue of random, intermittent audio pausing, but this is different as the audio pauses immediately upon app minimization or screen locks.)

HomePod

Posted on Feb 4, 2019 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2019 10:25 AM

It is probably not the HomePod causing this, it is more likely the native app where the audio originates from. I don't use SoundCloud or Spotify, but YouTube will do exactly this same thing over AirPlay and it is a known issue with its use of AirPlay in general.

In the case of YouTube, you need to have a subscription to YouTube Premium to keep audio playing over AirPlay while you change to a different app or lock your phone (normal audio is not affected, just AirPlay to any target, including HomePod). Could it be that the apps you're using are taking a similar approach, where you need to "pay to AirPlay"? What happens if you try a different AirPlay target (not HomePod) or Bluetooth?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2019 10:25 AM in response to ztripz

It is probably not the HomePod causing this, it is more likely the native app where the audio originates from. I don't use SoundCloud or Spotify, but YouTube will do exactly this same thing over AirPlay and it is a known issue with its use of AirPlay in general.

In the case of YouTube, you need to have a subscription to YouTube Premium to keep audio playing over AirPlay while you change to a different app or lock your phone (normal audio is not affected, just AirPlay to any target, including HomePod). Could it be that the apps you're using are taking a similar approach, where you need to "pay to AirPlay"? What happens if you try a different AirPlay target (not HomePod) or Bluetooth?

HomePod pausing AirPlay source when app is minimized or phone locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.