Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homepod stops playing — not a connectivity issue

Another possible bug: the HP will, at least once a day, simply stop playing after a random song. There’s no pattern to it, nor is there any connectivity loss. The wifi is fine. And it’s always inbetween songs, not during them.

The interface is in the “playing” state, not the “paused” state. Lessee if I can bung a screamshot in:

User uploaded file

Jings that looks big. However, the point is, it will just stay stuck like this (ten minutes so far). It’s happened twice this evening.

While I’ve seen posts about losing the connection, this clearly isn’t that. I’m hoping it’s just a temporary bug, and will try to feed it back officially somehow. I just wondered if anyone else has seen this arbitrary stopping without any connectivity problem? After a solid week, it’s getting pretty ****** annoying.

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 2017 512GB

Posted on Feb 17, 2018 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2018 6:45 AM

I have had this since day one! Moved up nearer router , worked for one day! Reset the hp ok for a day , have had to reset again . This is bad , cannot recommend this product to anyone thinking of buying. Also the so called easy setup was a nightmare and this is problem puts me right off! Good luck this is a bad buy!!!!

Similar questions

64 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2018 6:45 AM in response to AngelDelNorte

I have had this since day one! Moved up nearer router , worked for one day! Reset the hp ok for a day , have had to reset again . This is bad , cannot recommend this product to anyone thinking of buying. Also the so called easy setup was a nightmare and this is problem puts me right off! Good luck this is a bad buy!!!!

Apr 21, 2018 3:18 AM in response to brian•woodahl

Hi Brian,

I would be interested to know when you sat that your HP stops playing, do you mean that it actually 'stops' completely or do you mean that the sound ( not music ) from your HP stops, then comes back again after a second or two ?

I play my music via iTunes from my Mac Mini through 'Airplay' and every so often the sound stops coming through my HP ( only for a second or 2 ) but if you check iTunes the track is still playing.

As you say its random, same here, could play a couple of tracks with-out an issue then next track it suddenly stops several times, no rhyme or reason here. I just wish Apple would come out and acknowledge that there is an issue and explain what ( if anything ) they are doing about it.

There's enough evidence telling them that there is a problem ?

As long as others keep reporting this type of issue to Apple ( Apple Feedback - HomePod - Apple ) then perhaps one day they'll fix it .

We live in hope.

Steve

Mar 1, 2018 9:56 AM in response to JandyJoe

Thanks both! Doesn't seem to be a common issue, though. When I fed back to Apple, I had some additional info, which is that the music interface (on phone, watch, or iPad) gets stuck at the start of the previous song, the one before that currently playing. When it gets to the end of that one, that's when playback stops; if you just restarted there, you'd get the last two tracks again.

Whether this interface getting out of sync is a symptom or the cause of playback stoppage is unclear. I can only hope that Airplay 2 fixes it, if and when that finally comes in to land. Heigh ho. 😐

Mar 3, 2018 7:28 AM in response to JandyJoe

Sadly no; in all cases the devices in question were sitting there quietly staring into space. There's no pattern to it, nor warning.

Another weird thing just as I was reading your message was that it suddenly lost it altogether, and started skipping through tracks without playing anything. And that's on an album downloaded to the phone (did the same streaming). Off and on again has fixed it for now; but quite honestly this Airplay performance is utterly woeful.

I've tried switching off Handoff (whatever that does), in case it helps at all. We'll see.

Mar 25, 2018 10:09 PM in response to AngelDelNorte

We are experiencing the same issue. It will just stop playing in the middle of a play list while using airplay from my iPhone 8 which has all the updates. The phone says it is still playing. It does this every once and awhile - sometimes several times a day. Same issue from my wife’s iPhone 7 except on hers it will also from time to time cycle quickly thru the playlist names playing nothing. That is an issue we haven’t had since Apple Music first can’t out.

When the music stops while using AirPlay we touch the top of the HomePod twice to stop and start the song and it starts playing again. That is our fix. I think this is an Apple Music bug.

Mar 27, 2018 6:52 AM in response to AngelDelNorte

Thanks ADN for putting this out there. Still having this problem. I have essentially just unplugged my Homepod, because this is so frustrating. Although I didn't experience the iPhone 4 launch, this is the most disrupting software problem I've had from an Apple product. The device is unusable in this state...please, send an update soon to solve this problem.

Mar 31, 2018 10:30 AM in response to francois127

*Screams into pillow* Ugghhh, "shuffle" is about the worst thing to ever happen in music playback. Okay, somewhat off-topic, but most of my playlists are the artist's albums in chronological order, so the order of tracks is massively important. Also it would have played havoc with the Das Rheingold I was playing yesterday 😁 During which, incidentally, playback didn't stop.

However, it has today, at least twice, so 11.3 has fixed nothing (I hear no difference in the sound, btw). Unplugging the beastly thing and feeding back to Apple yet again looks like my Sunday.

Apr 19, 2018 1:26 PM in response to pdforta88

We are having a big bonfire this weekend, early celebration for the graduating seniors. I may just throw the HomePod into the fire. Of course, all the neighborhood kids will get out their iPhones and video record it. Last year, I burned up a Kindle®. They all went nuts. The kid from across the street recorded it, put it on YouTube, and made over $50. I demanded that he split the earnings with me, but he's having none of that. But this time will be different, I'll make him sign a statement if he comes over and I end up burning up the HomePod. Maybe he will make $700.

Homepod stops playing — not a connectivity issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.